Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The weather was unseasonably warm Saturday so I decided to wash and wax the RL. I've been using Liquid Class for years http://www.liquidglasspolish.com

It's great for daily drivers since it does a great job removing water spots, polishing the paint to a high shine and leaves a coating that beads water well for 6-9months. It goes on easily enough and buffs off easily, my only complaint is that it's a bitch to wash from the foam orbital buffing pad.

Griot's Garage makes some fine products, I really like their #3 Machine Polish for making black paint look amazing (use after clay bar and before waxing). My experience with their products is that go on easily, buff off easily and clean up easily. But I've always been underwhelmed with the durability of their waxes and polishes.

I was in the local Advance Auto Parts store and saw that they now stock many Griot's garage products, so I picked up a bottle of Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant.

I shook Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant vigorously and then removed the seal from the bottle and dispensed a small amount on a foam wax applicator. It was runny with chunks in it and had a strong solvent smell.

I folded the wax applicator over and rubbed the Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant to distribute the product and to my horror, it had dissolved the foam applicator.

I emailed the photos to Griot's Garage and set aside the damaged applicator.

Not wanting to waste a good wash job, I waxed the truck with Liquid Glass. :)

I'll post an update here when if I hear back from Griot's Garage.

PS - I've ordered many products from Griot's and been more than satisfied. Their orange random orbital foam pads are my favorites.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Find out the problem with the product but don't be down on GRIOT'S GARAGE
whole line of many many products brake bleeders fluid vacs pumps detail brushes gizmos flooring for garages ect. They have just about everything a car/truck/suv person could wan't. I place an order a couple of times a year to them and they sure send a few handbooks a month full of new stuff or tips on how to use products. I purchased my buffer from them and get the Speed Shine & Spray on Carwash a waterless type car wash all the time for winter or quick clean up with microfiber towels cloths. using their products since I had my 94 Accord.
Advanced Auto started carrying a very limited supply of things in their stores.
A few years I wanted some leather cleaner and tire product and was near an Advanced Auto at that time. I got that and some good microfiber towels so I did not need to pay for shipping on a very small order of things. I check the handbook on that product to see if it has tip use.
www.groitsgarage.com

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Have to wonder how something like that could get to the consumer. I would not want that on my skin, not even considering your paint job.
They may have a recall coming their way. It is unlikely the wrong formulation ended up in only one bottle.

I've heard good things about Girot's for years.. but their rep is secondary to finding out what's going on ASAP. In the meantime keep the bottle in a safe, hard to reach place.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
First off, this is a cleaner with abrasives, not pure protection. The solvents are in any cleaner, it appears that the white material is the abrasive with synthetic wax/ silicone. My guess is it froze causing seperation.

If your not lookingto clean and abrade the clear/ polish, then do not use cleaner.
I really like the flitz waax spray on wipe off even when drying.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Checked other auto forums looks like owners reviews using this product seem favorable.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Might have something to do with how that particular bottle or maybe the case it was in, was stored. I don't know if they would have an expiry date.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Griot's in automotive retail? WOW. Times are changing. This made me curious and sure enough it looks like they've branched into traditional retail distribution.

IMO: this is akin to going to Marshall's to buy J. Peterman clothing - which I hope never happens.

Could this be a harbinger of quality taking a back seat to profit margin.
OH PLEASE NO...

Text Map Ecoregion Line World

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Griot's sends me an email twice a week seems like.
They also send a numbered handbook (catalog) twice a month got one today in the mail. The one I got a few weeks ago was #406 Christmas issue today I got #405 Christmas. The One-Step Sealant is $17.99 for 16 ounces

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm disappointed in the One-Step Sealant AND it's been three business days since I emailed Griots and no response from them yet. :-/

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Well, with a half full glass of water in hand, I say give them a little more time. They don't get many complaints so handling them is not routine.

With a half empty glass of water in hand, I say get them on the horn and tear 'em a new one!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,824 Posts
Or just take it back to the retail location and return it with the applicator in hand, if they ask why your returning it you can show them that.

Because IMO, it either was corrupted in the store, or you have the incorrect type of applicator for the product(was there possibly residual liquid gold on there, i.e. a cross contamination issue), or Griot's product quality has severely decreased.

Any of those can be resolved at the AA location in any number of ways, let them or there purchasing/returns people deal with Griot's. I sure as hell wouldn't want to put something on my paint that did that to foam applicator pad.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
it's not the product but may be that specific bottle or batch.
Reading other auto forums from people that use it seem satisfied to happy with results.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
it's not the product but may be that specific bottle or batch.
Reading other auto forums from people that use it seem satisfied to happy with results.
That's what I think also, but I would still let the company know to help ward off any future grief, yours or someone else. There may be a number code on the bottle they can use for tracking purposes. Plus, you may get a free bottle ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's what I think also, but I would still let the company know to help ward off any future grief, yours or someone else. There may be a number code on the bottle they can use for tracking purposes. Plus, you may get a free bottle ;)
Yep I was thinking the same about the free bottle of something they have.

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a 'batch code' on the bottom of the bottle, when I called Griot's they asked me to send in a photo of the bottom of the bottle. I did, along with the photos posted here. Still no contact from Griot's.

If I don't hear from them after a week, I may call them again on Monday, or post the photos on their Facebook page :eek: bet that would get their attention.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Like I said, they are known to produce top line stuff. Give them time.

Call Lenovo or the 'new' Motorola (same company now) with a problem and you will have phone calls and emails and still be waiting for a fix, but they will run around like ants so it looks like they are doing something. New laptop arrived DOA and 3 months later they shipped me the wrong phone model.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
There is a 'batch code' on the bottom of the bottle, when I called Griot's they asked me to send in a photo of the bottom of the bottle. I did, along with the photos posted here. Still no contact from Griot's.

If I don't hear from them after a week, I may call them again on Monday, or post the photos on their Facebook page :eek: bet that would get their attention.
If you end up on their FB page, be sure to mention that you went there after waiting for x weeks & not getting any reply via other media. That might liven up their responsiveness to querying customers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.