Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I installed a Soundgate Snhond3 adapter into the 14 pin connector on the back of the Ridgeline HU. My Audiovox XR9 XM is connected to the Snhond3. I'm now able to use the XM/AUX button to hear XM through my head unit instead using of FM modulation. The sound quality is fantastic.

The 1st two pictures shows the 14 pin connector. The next shows the HU displaying what you will see after the connection. The 4th picture shows the dash removed. And the 5th shows the finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a stainless steel cup from Walmart. I inverted it and stuck it in the cup holder. It's temporary until I get a Belkin Mount.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for posting the pictures. It appears that your HU is different from the RTL S/R. I also think that 14 pin connector in the back of your HU was available for the auxiliary input adapter. My current HU without any modifications does not have any available connectors. I will try the solution posted in the TSX site. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BamaRidge said:
Today I installed a Soundgate Snhond3 adapter into the 14 pin connector on the back of the Ridgeline HU. My Audiovox XR9 XM is connected to the Snhond3. I'm now able to use the XM/AUX button to hear XM through my head unit instead using of FM modulation. The sound quality is fantastic.

The 1st two pictures shows the 14 pin connector. The next shows the HU displaying what you will see after the connection. The 4th picture shows the dash removed. And the 5th shows the finished product.
I just ordered the same Snhond3 adaptor for my Sirius radio. Your install looks pretty straightforward, have you had any issues as of yet ? How did you handle running your antenna. ??

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rtpjunior said:
I just ordered the same Snhond3 adaptor for my Sirius radio. Your install looks pretty straightforward, have you had any issues as of yet ? How did you handle running your antenna. ??
I would recommend a Radio Shack GLI to eliminate any possible alternator whine.

I attached my antenna to the left front corner of the truck cab. This helps keep a good signal in the city and in forested areas. I ran the wire down the the weather seal of the windshield to a gap between the fender and truck body, then into the door, down inside the door trim, underneath the kick panel, under the floor mat to the radio.

The only part of the wire you see is at the door jam when the door is open. When the door is closed you will not see any wire.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BamaRidge said:
I would recommend a Radio Shack GLI to eliminate any possible alternator whine.

I attached my antenna to the left front corner of the truck cab. This helps keep a good signal in the city and in forested areas. I ran the wire down the the weather seal of the windshield to a gap between the fender and truck body, then into the door, down inside the door trim, underneath the kick panel, under the floor mat to the radio.

The only part of the wire you see is at the door jam when the door is open. When the door is closed you will not see any wire.
Just installed the SnHond3 yesterday, and it works flawlessly. I think the H/U is fooled into thinking you have a 6-CD changer connected, hence the "CDC" on the display, and the appearance of " 1 2 3 4 5 6 ". You are definitely right in needing a GLI, I get a slight alternator whine.

One question - Did you lose any signal stength when using the GLI ? What I am trying to get at is the volume of my PnP Sirius radio is kind on on the low side, even with the signal at it's max. setting from the unit. I don't want to drop out the signal any more.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad your install went well. Maybe you could show us some pix of the finished product.

I did not notice any signal loss when using a GLI. However, my XM does have less volume than the CD regardless of whether a GLI is installed or not. The XM volume would have to be set at "15" to have the same decibel level as the CD player is at "10". I find this is adequate for myself. There are in line amplifiers available if you think your volume is too low.

The GLI's cord I installed was too short to reach the console so I had to buy RCA male to male connectors to add a cable to reach the console. I thought I would tell you this to save you a trip to Radio Shack.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BamaRidge said:
I'm glad your install went well. Maybe you could show us some pix of the finished product.

I did not notice any signal loss when using a GLI. However, my XM does have less volume than the CD regardless of whether a GLI is installed or not. The XM volume would have to be set at "15" to have the same decibel level as the CD player is at "10". I find this is adequate for myself. There are in line amplifiers available if you think your volume is too low.

The GLI's cord I installed was too short to reach the console so I had to buy RCA male to male connectors to add a cable to reach the console. I thought I would tell you this to save you a trip to Radio Shack.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get some pics ASAP.............

·
Registered
265 Posts
BamaRidge said:

I just purchased a line level amp from Soundgate, as well as their GLI. The specs on their GLI are better than Radio Shack. Soundgate's are from 20hz - 20khz, while radio shack cuts off at 300hz. This would hinder the performance of the sub.......

·
Registered
338 Posts
Very cool. Its good to know that this adapter will work. I believe that I'll have to disconnect my factory XM for the 14 pin connector, but I'm not worried about that since I don't really want the XM anyway (it just came with the moonroof, which I did want). My only concern is that my radio has an XM logo on the XM button and the Aux is over on the CD button. I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hello CoolCat, I am in the process of finding a solution that will allow the addition of the Auxiliary function without losing any features your radio has. I too have the RTL with SR and XM. I do not want to lose XM. There have been success stories with people that have the Acura TSX with Navi so, I am going that route. I'll keep everyone posted. :cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
bongus,

Any luck yet? I'm about ready to just pull the trigger here and get the SNHOND3.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is an awesome piece of equipment! I have the same one on my 03 Accord for my iPod. I may be selling it though since I intend to get a Ridgeline with Navi, hence the Soundgate will no longer be necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm coming into this thread late as a new member. I have a 04 Accord LX V6 with the 6 CD changer and WITHOUT navigation. I discovered XM after I bought the car and now have a Roady2 with FM retransmit. I don't like the static and trying to find an open freq.

I found the SNHOND3 while mousing around the web and it seems like the right puppy for this job. Your comments are very helpful.

:confused:
A few questions tho...and this may get confusing to write on-line. The Accord shop manual seems to show that the audio unit has a factory XM plug opening (since I don't have the factory XM unit installed, this opening is still available). I'm not sure if my actual unit has this opening but has anyone tried to splice/"hot wire" a Roady or other XM device into this port?? If so, it would allow you to forget the Soundgate adapter, push the CD/AUX button and cycle between the CD player and your "AUX" device--now the XM player. Just like you cycle thru AM1, AM2, FM1, FM2, etc. The idea is to "fool" the audio unit into thinking that the factory XM receiver is installed in the trunk.

Make sense???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jbxnyr said:
I'm coming into this thread late as a new member. I have a 04 Accord LX V6 with the 6 CD changer and WITHOUT navigation. I discovered XM after I bought the car and now have a Roady2 with FM retransmit. I don't like the static and trying to find an open freq.

I found the SNHOND3 while mousing around the web and it seems like the right puppy for this job. Your comments are very helpful.

:confused:
A few questions tho...and this may get confusing to write on-line. The Accord shop manual seems to show that the audio unit has a factory XM plug opening (since I don't have the factory XM unit installed, this opening is still available). I'm not sure if my actual unit has this opening but has anyone tried to splice/"hot wire" a Roady or other XM device into this port?? If so, it would allow you to forget the Soundgate adapter, push the CD/AUX button and cycle between the CD player and your "AUX" device--now the XM player. Just like you cycle thru AM1, AM2, FM1, FM2, etc. The idea is to "fool" the audio unit into thinking that the factory XM receiver is installed in the trunk.

Make sense???
Accords use FM modulation to transmit the signal from the factory installed adapter to the headunit. The "factory XM plug opening" is called a 14 pin connection. It is this connection that the Soundgate Shond3 plugs into. The Shond3 "fools" the headunit so that it accepts signals from the XM plug and play device. In effect, your "patch".

Heres a link which should be very helpful to you. Install the Soundgate and you won't believe how much better your XM sounds.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3148

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info on the other page! Thanks!

Yes...the shop manual shows the 14-pin plug. I just didn't know if my headunit actually had one since I do not have factory-installed XM. Or to put it another way, how many different '04 Accord headunits are there??

I was thinking about trying to "hotwire" my Roady2 onto this plug's male terminals, but if the SNHOND3 fits right in, why take a chance of frying my entire headunit to save $99!!??!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
boxsky said:
Besides sound quality, can you change the stations on the sirius using the steering wheel buttons and head unit?
Unfortunately,no. The steering wheel controls have no effect on any PnP unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts