Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there's an "XM" option on my stock radio (RTS model), and I'm just wondering what I have to do to use it. Is it a dealer-installed option?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I'm not certain about this because we got the RTL with XM, but I think I've read that it means it's XM ready. You should get a real answer in the next day or two. You can find a lot out by doing a search too, as I know I've seen this discussed.

However, I'm posting because I didn't catch up with you when you posted your zip. I can't let a BLUE owner show up without giving a big BLUE welcome to you. I hope we'll be hearing a lot from you now that you have such a fabulous truck.

Swing by this following thread and let more of the regulars give you a welcome:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743

·
Registered
237 Posts
MD15 said:
I see there's an "XM" option on my stock radio (RTS model), and I'm just wondering what I have to do to use it. Is it a dealer-installed option?

Thanks in advance.
If there is an XM logo on your radio it's XM ready, if it doesn't already work like in the RTL. You would need to activate it and purchase a part I believe. There should be a 1-800 number in you manual to call, my wifes CR-V came with an XM ready 6 CD, AM/FM and cassette player OEM installed with the XM logo on it and that's what her manual states. My RTL with moonroof had the XM activated, hope this helps.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: XM On RTS

RT
RTS
RTL (no moon roof)

All are XM "Ready" - meaning the buttons are there to control XM radio but the "decoder brain" is missing. You can find the needed XM brain from several on line sites for around $270. This adds XM to your system. It does require a very detailed install that the dealer will charge you about $200-250 to install. So for $470+ you can have XM in your RL.

My biggest concern about adding the Honda XM system is the location of the antenna. They stick it in the upper right corner of the front window. (RTL w/ moon roof & RTL Nav have the body colored pod on the roof) This is not the best location for an XM antenna.

I have choosen to add a Skyfi 2 to my RL. I will soon see if I can use a Blitzsafe converter or be forced to use a wired FM modulator.... Total cost w/install = $110. Plus I can use one of my existing Skyfi 2 units for the RL!

Does that help?

TL

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought the Honda XM unit and antennae and installed it myself. It wasn't that difficult-just time consuming. I recall spending about $400 on the parts from an online discounter. I agree that the location of the antennae on the inside upper corner of the windshield is not ideal, but works well most of the time. I will eventually to change to an exterior mount when I feel like pulling it all out again.

I have seen the factory head unit including XM and antennae on ebay for about $250 at least once. If I had it to do again, thats the way I would go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, mine is a company rig that I'll have to give back in 6-8 months, so I think I'll just get an aftermarket one that doesn't require an in-depth installation.

Thanks for the help.

Truckin - Thanks for the welcome. I have a blue one for the time being, but I'm not sure what color will grace my driveway next.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Well, that would be fun too. I like BLUE best, but all the colors look great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On Black Friday (11/25/05), I purchased an early Xmas gift for my husband; a Sirius Sportster satellite radio (complete car kit) and a home unit for $140. After all the rebates, I'll get both for $50.00! This was through Radio Shack-they had some great satellite radio sale prices.
Service is another $12.50 per month. I'm hoping this unit will play right through the speakers of the radio, and we won't need any more Honda parts (someone mentioned a $270 Honda 'brain)...to get this thing working? Let me know please! We own an RL.

Anyone else out there ready to hook up Sirius, Dephi, etc., so you can hear satellite play through the OEM speakers?

I'll take pix of the 'install' after the holidays...LOL-the thing will just sit in one of the cubbys probably where he can punch in the stations. Hope there isn't any complicated wiring or installation necessary. They claim this stuff is 'plug and play'....

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the Trading post section I have an original Honda XM 6 CD changer for $200 shipped. all you'll need is the antenna. speaking of the antenna it can fit where the upper tailight is.
Take care

·
Registered
74 Posts
just pop in a skypi2 and call it good. its like tivo for radio. the oem set-up doesn't have that.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Kahnartist - if you don't like the FM modulator, you can get an aftermarket AUX plug that goes into the XM port on the back of the Honda Head unit - I did this for my XM MyFi in my truck. It allows you to plug in any device w/ a 1/8" mini stereo plug (iPod, MP3 player, portable XM, etc). Do a quick search on http://www.discountcarstereo.com and you can find the part number (or search ROC for MyFi and you'll find my original post w/ the part number).

-ridgeln

1 - 12 of 12 Posts