Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had XM radio added to my 2007 Ridgeline when I purchased it. I noticed the antenna was mounted on the inside of the windshield. My reception is absolutely lousy. Both my previous vehicle and my wife's vehicle have XM and I know the reception is terrific. When I brought the truck back to the dealer (thinking the antenna might be faulty) I was told that I had to live with what I have because it is in perfect working order and there was nothing else they could do. They told me XM sells an antenna signal booster but I have yet to find one. I know that if the antenna were mounted on the roof it would make a difference but the dealer won't touch it. HELP! :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
poulin71,
My XM antenna is mounted on the roof of my truck and the reception is fantastic. I bought the vehicle with 16K miles on it, so I'm not sure how the antenna got there. In other words, I don't know whether the original owner had a dealer install it, or if it was an aftermarket add on. I have a feeling it was dealer installed because the XM hardware is integrated in the OEM head unit (behind the dash), and the color of the antenna matches my truck. Hope you get that one figured out. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my understanding that on models where XM comes standard, the antenna mount is on the roof (thus is the color of the vehicle). When it is purchased as an accessory and the dealer must install (as is the case with mine) then the passenger side windshield is the mounting area--what a difference a few inches can make! The antenna is installed as the manual shows. I've got to say, I am VERY disappointed that my previous $70 receiver gave me 100% better performance than this $500+ accessory. The dealer won't do anything for me to make it better and I've got a 2 year XM subscription paid for that is pretty much a complete waste of money at this point. :mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
My antenna is also on in my window, the reception is about the same as on my Lexus. My Lex is roof mounted, after market, magnetic antenna. I would rate both as good, not great. I loose reception in trees and the mountains. I was really hoping that my RL would be better because the XM unit and install was so @%$# expensive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if its a dealer-installed honda accessory, then by God its a dealer problem.... poor reception sure as **** is an issue and should be backed by the dealership... if not, find another dealer asap

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much does XM vary day to day? I drove my new Ridgeline home from LA, good reception all the way. And for the next several days near home. Yesterday and today, dropouts every 30 seconds or so. I don't even have to me moving, it will drop out sitting at a stop light.

If this is the XM experience, then count me out. Or do they just have bad hair days every once in a while?

XM is factory Navi, antenna on the roof.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
How much does XM vary day to day? I drove my new Ridgeline home from LA, good reception all the way. And for the next several days near home. Yesterday and today, dropouts every 30 seconds or so. I don't even have to me moving, it will drop out sitting at a stop light.

If this is the XM experience, then count me out. Or do they just have bad hair days every once in a while?

XM is factory Navi, antenna on the roof.
I enjoy XM both in the Ridgeline & my 3.2 TL. The Ridgeline has the factory XM while the 3.2 TL has an aftermarket FM mod unit hooked to factory radio with a roof top ant.
I have had this in the car for over 6yrs & love it I have not had many problems with XM over the yrs. We listen to it I would say 99.9% of the time when we are in the Ridgeline. I do it all the time in the car but I may play a CD sometime. Since the Ridgeline has stayed on the road the last 7 months of ownership the XM radio has had a work out. XM took me from DC to St Louis & back. Its been up thru the Mts of PA & NY. It has been down in the carolinas & to Nashville TN. Drop outs are very rare for me but some places the signal always gets lost for a few seconds. I was in the car today from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM with XM playing all the time I did not have any problems. I had to take my sister & her co worker a few places around town. I stayed in the car while they were gone. It was one day that XM was having problems a few months ago. I thought it was the radio in my car going out but someone on here had posted the XM website said they were having major problems that day. I never thought I would be paying for radio 7yrs ago. At my age while not so old I listen to music from my time the 60s 70s 80s 90s & current stuff. Sometime one of my XM stations will play a few hits from the mid to late 50s before my time but they sound great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can the 'OEM' XM unit be refreshed? I have an after-market Delphi Roady XT and have had to 'refresh' the unit a few times.

My recollection is that you have to create an account on XM's web site (you use your radio ID - found on XM channel 0 - your e-mail address and you create a password). From your XM personal page there is a link to refresh the XM unit. It has instuctions on what to do - basically, turn on the XM unit, make sure it is in signal range (like not in your garage) and then hit refresh. I think it can take up to 20-30 minutes.

Even with a new unit it might need a 'refresh'.

On the antenna, I have mine installed right where you do - upper right hand corner INSIDE the vehicle. I prefer it there. Signal drops when I expect it to - in tunnels, dense trees, hillsides, etc. Otherwise, works fine no matter what direction I am travelling.

I am not sure if the antenna is omni-directional, but I have my facing out, that is the part that says "XM" on it face outwards. Yours, I believe, is facing inwards. I attached my XM antenna to a winshield mounted mini clip board and the antenna is held to the min clip-baird with one of those mega-strong magnets.

Hope my expereinces provide some consideration for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to my world. Not only is the windshield antenna grossly deficient in reception, especially when going north, but I believe it is illegal in many states. I went all the way to Honda with this problem. They admitted the reception was poor, denied placing the antenna on the windshield was illegal, and told me to pee up a rope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts