Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at an RTL last evening, the dealer doesn't know what the cost is to have the XM radio ready. Evidently most of the hardware is already in the RTL's, but something else needs done. Anyone know the cost? I already use XM in my Element (with a local audio store installing it with velcro just below the shifter) and love it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just curious--now that XM has that portable device with built in antenna and FM tranceiver(?) with kits for car and home for $350 exclusive of the service, why pay $550 for the XM Radio option that can only be used in that vehicle?

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
XM prices are going up. The new price I think is $12.95/month. I signed on for a 3 year subscription when I got my Ody so I am good until April 2008. I got a flyer in the mail that was offering me a $12.95/month deal if I signed on for another multiyear deal (an extension I guess) within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is there a time limit for activating the XM radio.? Can I wait 6 months? I want to wait for our summer vacation to fullly enjoy all 150 channels. Here in SF Bay area, we have so many FM stations that XM is kind of a overkill.

I like my FM stations with local news and local culture. I have not tried the XM radio but I kind of think this is a solution looking for a problem. Does anyone know the KILLER application for XM?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Blue said:
Is there a time limit for activating the XM radio.
Why don't you ask your dealer.

Our radio was activated by the dealer on delivery, which I thought was odd but didn't question it since I have no interest in continuing the service. We've listened to it a time or two, and it seems to be high-quality, but we would never use it enuf to make the $12.95 a month :eek: worthwhile.

·
Registered
198 Posts
RTL's with Navi or a Sunroof have XM pre-installed. An RTL without these options will not have XM. Your options (from most to least expensive) are: 1. To have one installed by the dealer. 2. Buy the kit yourself from H and A or College Hills and install it yourself. 3. Buy a plug and play such as a SkyFi, Roady, or Audiovox and install it yourself. I chose to buy a plug and play.

·
Registered
26 Posts
XM radio in the Ridgeline should only need to be turned on with XM. I asked twice at the dealership if I needed another piece of equipment installed for the XM to work. He assured me that it was ready to go as is from the dealer.

I love XM mostly because of the variety of music. I never even tried to listen to half the music selections until XM. Now I swing from 60's to Country to Classical and a lot of stuff in between. Long trips to short commute drives are great for me with XM. Amazingly I have bought more CDs because of listening to XM. The more I hear and know the artist, the more I want to research their music and buy it.

Commercial free is also a huge plus.
Jeff
Dallas, TX

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Blue said:
Is there a time limit for activating the XM radio.? Can I wait 6 months? I want to wait for our summer vacation to fullly enjoy all 150 channels. Here in SF Bay area, we have so many FM stations that XM is kind of a overkill.

I like my FM stations with local news and local culture. I have not tried the XM radio but I kind of think this is a solution looking for a problem. Does anyone know the KILLER application for XM?
The dealer activated the XM service when I drove the Ridgeline off the lot. Everything works well. My other car has Sirius and so far I like Sirius better. I don't want this post to be a Xm vs. Sirius rant...I'm just expressing an opinion. I'll probably keep XM on the Ridgeline...I've bought into the value of Satellite radio. I believe once you hear Satellite radio you can't go back to tradtional OTA radio.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hersheytx said:
XM radio in the Ridgeline should only need to be turned on with XM. I asked twice at the dealership if I needed another piece of equipment installed for the XM to work. He assured me that it was ready to go as is from the dealer.

Jeff
Dallas, TX
Jeff, as I stated earlier if you bought a RTL with navi or a sunroof you are all set. But if you buy a RT, RTS, or standard RTL you are not going to have XM without installing a tuner and a antenna. Your dealer is mis-informed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have the RTL with XM, it is ready to go off the lot. I have to admit that I have not listened to fm radio in the ridgeline. Just the fact that you have whatever type of music you feel like listening to at any moment, at the touch a finger is awesome. I do have to admit that I like the programing on Sirius better. I am looking into adding Sirius to my truck after my (so called) free XM trial ends. Does anybody know If I can use the antenae that is already installed on the ridgeline, or is the XM antenae exclusive to XM?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
drouke said:
I also have the RTL with XM, it is ready to go off the lot. I have to admit that I have not listened to fm radio in the ridgeline. Just the fact that you have whatever type of music you feel like listening to at any moment, at the touch a finger is awesome. I do have to admit that I like the programing on Sirius better. I am looking into adding Sirius to my truck after my (so called) free XM trial ends. Does anybody know If I can use the antenae that is already installed on the ridgeline, or is the XM antenae exclusive to XM?
I would be very interested in the answer to that question. If you look at my posting under Stereo Mods. You can see some of the problems you might face when you add aftermarket audio devices to the factory headunit. The antenna connector for the factory headunit is not the typical "motorola-type" connector...it appears to be proprietary to the Honda radios (it's basically a 2-pin connector). The thing is someone else makes the headunit NOT Honda so if someone can answer that question it might give us more sources to investigate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well the antenae would plug into which ever Sirius unit I decide to go with so I don't think I'd have to play with the head unit antenae. I'm planning on running the audio through an AUX input, if there's not one on the back of the radio I'm sure somebody sells an AUX input adapter. I used one from a company called SoundGate for my setup on my H2, worked pretty well. So when all is said and done I'll be adding Sirius radio and the video setup I had in my H2 which was tv's dvd and playstation. If I could just get some warm weather and some ambition, I'll get started. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am not familiar with XM radio operation. I notice that pictures of the head unit will show the channel number and music genre. Does the display also show the artist and song title?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
dolphin said:
I am not familiar with XM radio operation. I notice that pictures of the head unit will show the channel number and music genre. Does the display also show the artist and song title?
Yup! I do notice with the factory built-in XM, if the song title is too long, it will not show the whole title. There does not appear to be a scrolling function. Does anyone know if there is a scrolling function for the display?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
drouke said:
Well the antenae would plug into which ever Sirius unit I decide to go with so I don't think I'd have to play with the head unit antenae. I'm planning on running the audio through an AUX input, if there's not one on the back of the radio I'm sure somebody sells an AUX input adapter. I used one from a company called SoundGate for my setup on my H2, worked pretty well. So when all is said and done I'll be adding Sirius radio and the video setup I had in my H2 which was tv's dvd and playstation. If I could just get some warm weather and some ambition, I'll get started. :)
Make sure to take lots of picture and tell us how your installation works. If you look at my post under Car Stereo Mods, myself and BamaRidge have had some dialogue about the auxiliary input adapter. Apparently, there is no adapter available specific to the Ridgeline Model. BamaRidge thinks that an adapter he has used for his Acura TSX might work. Presently, I waiting for an adapter designed for the Element and S2000...it should come in this week. I'll inspect all the connections and see if this solution will work. If not, I might try the suggestion BamaRidge has posted. FYI, BamaRidge posted some links that might be helpful as well...check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the RTL without sunroof, so the XM is not installed. The stereo is "XM ready" which I belive simply means that there is a Aux input and a button on the front to control it.

I am definately a convert to XM and we have it in our Ody. My wife purchased a Delphi "Roady2" XM radio. This is a great little XM which does not need to be connected to your stereo, as it transmits on an FM frequency which can then be heard through the stereo.

This is conveinant, but the reception is not as good as a direct connect. I am hoping that the installer can figure out how to do a direct connect to the existing stereo to improve the sound quaility.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hurleyjw said:
I have the RTL without sunroof, so the XM is not installed. The stereo is "XM ready" which I belive simply means that there is a Aux input and a button on the front to control it.

I am definately a convert to XM and we have it in our Ody. My wife purchased a Delphi "Roady2" XM radio. This is a great little XM which does not need to be connected to your stereo, as it transmits on an FM frequency which can then be heard through the stereo.

This is conveinant, but the reception is not as good as a direct connect. I am hoping that the installer can figure out how to do a direct connect to the existing stereo to improve the sound quaility.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
Here is a question for you Hurleyjw, since your headunit is XM ready why don't you just buy the XM unit available for your truck? Check this out. I think this is what you are looking for. I have another question for you, does your radio have a dedicated button that only has XM printed on it? Or does it have XM/AUX printed on the button?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts