Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts and I am still confused regarding the conversion of XM to Sirius. I have the HON-SC1 interface and the SCC1 Sirius tuner. My question is on placement of each unit. Do both units mount and connect behind the rear seat where the original XM tuner is located OR does the HON-SC1 interface plug in behind the radio up front? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks to all in advance!

Phins

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used the plate that came with my package to bolt the 2 together. I connected to two with the provided cable and bundled up the excess with cable ties to keep it neat. I then just wedged it between the head unit and the little cubby under it. Then it's just a matter of whether you intend to use the factory antenna or the new one that came with the tuner. I used the one that came with the tuner because I wasn't about to pay the price for that adapter for the factory antenna.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! But it generated two more questions. 1) Do I need to pull out the head unit or can it be accessed from the glove box? 2) When installing both units up front, do I need to take out the back seat to disconnect the XM tuner?

Thanks again,

Phins

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I bet you could install them without pulling the HU but it's so easy, why even try. Check my install thread that shows where I installed my Garmin nav unit, it might give you some ideas. You can get to the OEM XM tuner by pulling the seat back. No need to remove the seat bottom unless you plan on removing the tuner.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the replies! But it generated two more questions. 1) Do I need to pull out the head unit or can it be accessed from the glove box? 2) When installing both units up front, do I need to take out the back seat to disconnect the XM tuner?

Thanks again,

Phins
Yes, you will need to remove the factory head unit because you'll be removing the XM harness from the HU to plug the HON-SC1 in it's place. You will then just leave the factory XM harness that you remove hanging. No reason at all to remove the rear seat because you've disconnected the XM from the HU. This of course assumes that you're aren't planning to try to use the factory XM antenna.

For what it's worth, if you ever install something like an iSimple for iPod/AUX connectivity, you'll plug the iSimple into the HU first where the XM harness is removed from and then plug the HON-SC1 harness into the 'Y' harness that comes with the iSimple. This is the setup I have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BrandonJ for the advise! I did make the mistake of plugging the XM harness back into the Y-adapter (the directions are a bit misleading that come in the box). But once I unplugged the XM is worked great! The only problem I can forsee is the SiriusConnect Interface cable that goes into each unit seems to be able to wiggle loose.

Removing the dash panel and radio was pretty easy. I did bolt the units to each other with included bracket. I put the units behind the glove box in case I need to get easy access to it. I just need to improve the antenna location.

Thanks to all!

Phins

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as an update: the data cable that plugs into the HON-SC1 does have a loose connection. I called TSS-Radio where I purchased the unit and was told that the loose connection is the way it is manufacturered. Solution: tape it in the port. Although, I used cable ties and it made a secure connection that will not come out again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts