Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
I am going on the assumption that the XM in the RTL is identical to the add-on kit - the tuner is directly under the driver's seat. I don't think that the plug-ins are the same as what are found on other XM sat receivers - this assumption is based only on seeing the PDF posted for the install, not from the actual device (I have an RT-S and have added my MyFi).

-ridgeln
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,332 Posts
I believe the factory XM unit is located behind the back seat. Don't know about the connections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I was really leaning towards signing up for XM now that my free 3 months is over but hesitated due to NFL and other content on Sirius. XM has better portable devices too but I saw info in the Washington Post today about Saudi investors in the XM corporate structure so it is now Sirius for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
djdj said:
Has anyone located the XM tuner in an RTL? Where is it? Does it have standard XM antenna connections?

Thanks!
-DJ
I don't think the antenna connection will be "standard" for anyone other than Honda. It is a three pin connector. One is the sat antenna, one is the terrestial antenna, and ground.

My Sirius unit uses a single round connector (mini MCX) and of course is not compatible. (Both antennas are combined in the same coax) The signals might be compatible if the connector issue could be resolved, however it would be easier to just use another antenna.

I am thinking that there might be room somewhere up front near the GPS antenna in the dash. I run my Sirius unit all the time with the antenna in the rear deck (of a car) , inside the vehicle. Works very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kd4z said:
I don't think the antenna connection will be "standard" for anyone other than Honda. It is a three pin connector. One is the sat antenna, one is the terrestial antenna, and ground.
Darn. I was hoping that I could use the factory antenna instead of adding my own when I replace my stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
I will be installing my permanant mount tomorrow for my XM MyFi and will post pics of the antenna mount and the wiring for any/all interested. I bought an AUX adapter and have already run the power and antenna.

-ridgeln
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have waited one more day to ask my question... My RL service and electronic troubleshooting manuals showed up today, and these describe everything one could want to know about the RL.

Answer is: XM tuner is in the right panel behind the back seat, and it uses a proprietary 2-pin antenna connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to my service manual, there are actually three different XM modules in the Ridgeline:

RTL w/ Navigation
RTL w/ Moonroof, w/o Navigation
Dealer Installed (w/ Windshield mounted antenna)

Each one is different and is mounted in a different location.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
djdj said:
According to my service manual, there are actually three different XM modules in the Ridgeline:

RTL w/ Navigation
RTL w/ Moonroof, w/o Navigation
Dealer Installed (w/ Windshield mounted antenna)

Each one is different and is mounted in a different location.
Can you provide an overview picture as in the post just previous to the one I have quoted for the factory XM install location and wire routing? I am thinking about an input splitter on the XM input. I suspect it runs along the passenger side door sill and up behind the glove box? I saw in another post the 14-pin connector pinout for adding the audio, would just have to hack that cable to be an in and an out for the selector. I think. :D Hopefull anyway. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Do any of your manuals give actual pinouts? According to the ridgeline manual if the XM service has expired you can actually listen if the vehicle ignition is in the auxillary position. I'm just curious to see if there is a way to bluff XM into working if the subscription has expired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Gausswave said:
Do any of your manuals give actual pinouts? According to the ridgeline manual if the XM service has expired you can actually listen if the vehicle ignition is in the auxillary position. I'm just curious to see if there is a way to bluff XM into working if the subscription has expired.
There is no known way to "hack" XM. Your radio has a unique serial number. The only way to hack XM would be to "clone" that number from a working account. I have never heard of this being done.

TL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Cant wait for the update - I have myfi too - RTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
tlaudio said:
There is no known way to "hack" XM. Your radio has a unique serial number. The only way to hack XM would be to "clone" that number from a working account. I have never heard of this being done.

TL
What you say is true but think about it this way. What I was describing is a demo mode that runs with out the subscription. It may be limited( I still have the 90 day freebie going). I'm just guessing here but I imagine what is happening is when the suscription has expired in the multipin connection there are 2 logic high feeds one sourced form the acc. position on the ignition and one from the run position. If this is the case it should be a simple matter of removing the signal from the run position so the radio doesn't know the car is actually running. That's why I was asking about the connector pinout. Of corse this is all just theory. I have the factory installed unit. I dunno if they all behave the same or not. Does any body know if the service manual has the pinouts of the connectors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Gausswave said:
What you say is true but think about it this way. What I was describing is a demo mode that runs with out the subscription. It may be limited( I still have the 90 day freebie going). I'm just guessing here but I imagine what is happening is when the suscription has expired in the multipin connection there are 2 logic high feeds one sourced form the acc. position on the ignition and one from the run position. If this is the case it should be a simple matter of removing the signal from the run position so the radio doesn't know the car is actually running. That's why I was asking about the connector pinout. Of corse this is all just theory. I have the factory installed unit. I dunno if they all behave the same or not. Does any body know if the service manual has the pinouts of the connectors?
I see what you are saying....

XM security works this way. (kinda like cable tv boxes)

The satellite send a list of receiver serial numbers every 10-15 minutes. Your receiver looks at the list and activates if your serial number is on the list. If your receivers unique serial number is not on the list your receiver only plays 5 or so select channels. (aka not activated) I do not know how the Honda 90 day activation works on the XM side. I am sure it is activated once the dealer sells the truck. But some people have had service well beyond their 90 day trial period.

I am sorry to say, I do not think that your method would work :(

TL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I fully understand how the security works for XM or any satellite service for that matter. I am a broadcast engineer. What I'm suggesting is fooling the " demo " mode. No I don't expect to have full service from trhe XM rig short of totally hacking the box to begin with and I'm sad to say the service ain't worth that much effort. I wish there was a way of telling weither or not it was actually getting the Satellite feed or a terestial feed. I know we have a teresterial repeater here in the Seattle area ( they moved into one of our old broadcast buildings ) And judging by where the drop outs I get occure I'm pretty sure that's what I'm recieving. I guess I'll just have to wait till the subscription runs out to fool with it. I can make better use of the hole in the roof if this is the case. Speaking of antennas where is the AM FM antenna located on this rig?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Gausswave said:
I fully understand how the security works for XM or any satellite service for that matter. I am a broadcast engineer. What I'm suggesting is fooling the " demo " mode. No I don't expect to have full service from trhe XM rig short of totally hacking the box to begin with and I'm sad to say the service ain't worth that much effort. I wish there was a way of telling weither or not it was actually getting the Satellite feed or a terestial feed. I know we have a teresterial repeater here in the Seattle area ( they moved into one of our old broadcast buildings ) And judging by where the drop outs I get occure I'm pretty sure that's what I'm recieving. I guess I'll just have to wait till the subscription runs out to fool with it. I can make better use of the hole in the roof if this is the case. Speaking of antennas where is the AM FM antenna located on this rig?
I do not think there is a "demo" mode. I think XM is activated from the factory and then at the point of sale the dealer/Honda lets XM know to start the 90 days?? I think this because I test drove several RL's and all of them with XM option had XM turned on.

Just speculation...

The FM/AM antenna is located under the plastic "spoiler" where the 3rd brake light is located.

TL
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top