Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked my dealer for a price on installing an XM radio unit in my RTS. He gave me a price of $800. I told him I didn't pay that much for my Denon home theatre receiver. Said his cost to get it done was $729.

If I buy one from H&A, would a local audio shop install it for me? Or is it something I can tackle? If it entails tearing apart the dash I would rather no do it.

If I go the FM after market route, how much does the signal degrade? Is it something I would notice?

Also, do you think there will be after market replacement heads with XM built in for the RL in the future? Should I just wait?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Allow me to answer two of your questions: In terms of ease of installation, this is relative. You can view the installation instructions here. And yes, you need to remove the dashboard...not the whole thing but parts of it. If you feel hesitant after reading the instructions, don't do it...you'll regret it if you make a mistake. From my experience Honda's instructions are described well so those instructions should be a good representation of how involved the job is. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing to note is that the antenna is spec'd out to be mounted on the upper right (passenger) side of the windshield, for those without a moonroof, be it RT, RTS or RTL.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I definitely would avoid the FM connection. If you want the Factory XM, any competent Audio Shop would be able to do it very easily. Figure about 470 and change for the components and shipping and at the max 100 bucks for a install. A dealer install would be my last option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the instructions last night and deemed it out of my league.

Is "factory XM" only when you buy the Honda additional XM tuner and have it directly attached or are there third party tuners that do the same thing?

I drove an RL last night with XM, it was nice but not for $800.

Thanks for all the help.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket tuners that will connect with Honda HUs at this time. Your only other alternative would be a plug and play (SkyFi, Roady, etc) type tuner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
77spartan said:
I looked at the instructions last night and deemed it out of my league.

Is "factory XM" only when you buy the Honda additional XM tuner and have it directly attached or are there third party tuners that do the same thing?

I drove an RL last night with XM, it was nice but not for $800.

Thanks for all the help.....
I brought back this thread, as I'm thinking seriously about getting the XM put in my RTS. From what I've read, I should first find a local radio installer and ask how much they would charge to have the XM tuner, antenna, etc. installed. I then should price it, order it and have them do it, cause I'm pathetic at this. I believe that one of our sponsors, sells it at about $350-400.00. Any updates or comments would be appreciated (yes, I want XM and no I don't want Sirius).:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I do not like the location of the Honda XM antenna (upper left inside window). The best location for ANY satellite antenna is outside on the roof.

I also have an RTS and considered installing the Honda XM. (because it was so clean looking/integrated) I choose to use one of my 4 existing Skyfi2 and hooked it up via the Soundgate AUX adapter. This way I can move the unit inside or to another vehicle and not pay for an extra XM subscription just for my RL. The display on the Skyfi also provides more info at once than the Honda XM radio. I have it mounted via a Pro-fit mount. The final point was the cost of each method.

Honda XM plus install = $480 (Plus $12.95/mo)
Skifi2 (Car kit+AUX+self install) = $210 ($0/mo - paid for already)

Plus I can install the Skyfi2 in the Boombox or in a home cradle at no extra subscription cost!

In the end it is a personal preference....

TL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts