Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 RTL a few days ago. I knew it had a couple of issues when I bought it.. CV axles and the A/C. The truck in general is in immaculate condition and the previous owner kept up on maintenance really well. Anyway, I was hoping it would be something really easy. I talked the dealer down A LOT based on these few problems in the hopes I could fix it for very little myself.

So.. I searched through the forum for everything else people have tried. I've done them all (I think) and still no dice. The AC compressor does not turn on at all. Inside blowers work and the radiator fans come on as they should. I checked #12 and #30 fuses and all of the fuses in the auxiliary box. Everything checks out. I checked for the issue with the recall on the passenger side and there is no problem there. Couldn't find any melted harnesses under the driver side dash. I checked everything I could get to. Running the self diag comes back with no errors. It goes blank after the first few tests which indicates no problem according to the manual.

The only thing I haven't done is check the pressures. I have no way to do that. I've also not checked for 12V to the compressor. I'm not sure how I would do that anyway.

Any ideas? I'm thinking my next step is to take it to the shop and hope to not get bent over on a repair bill. Ugh.

:(

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Check the wire that runs to the A/C compressor clutch. It clips to the radiator shroud, so if a replacement was done, it's possible it came loose.

Chip H.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If the compressor is too low on freon it won't even attempt to turn on, or even accept new freon from a non industrial type machine. I did manage to get a whole can of those recharge packs they sell at Auto Zone in a Saturn Vue (same engine) last summer.

I hooked the can up under normal procedure and the pump wouldn't accept any of the freon, so I had somebody sit in the car and hold the Rpms at 1500 while I charged it under the hood. That was enough to cool down the air a lot....probably could of took another can though...it was pretty low.

Oh, and a recharge kit has a pressure tester on it. I think the small cans are about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the cable to the clutch when I get home from work today. I can try adding some from a recharge pack. I've never done it.. but as far as I know anybody can buy it now and do it themselves. Can't be that hard. If it doesn't work, I'm out $30 or whatever it costs. If it does work, I saved a whole lot more.

Might be worth a try!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,388 Posts
Look carefully at the metal refrigerant hoses that run up to the condenser (facing engine, left side near wiper reservoir). There have been some reports of the the almuninum hoses rubbing on something metal and wearing a hole completely through. It's probably a long shot but I would certainly do a thorough visual inspection on all the refrigerant related parts (that you can) prior to connecting up a recharge kit.

Obviously there is no reason that a properly functioning system should have lost refrigerant so if you are low / out you will eventually need to figure out why. That said, if the refill kit gets the system working you will at least know that it is not something else.

Good luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
To the OP, just so you know, in most cases that I've seen, the seals in those systems will dry up if the AC isn't used regularly. In the case of the Saturn Vue I worked on, the person was real cold natured and rarely ran the AC, so the seals dried up and started leaking after not getting any action in a while (I call this old maid syndrome) j/k.

Some for trucks that have 4x4 but it's never used, eventually the differential fluid in the front axle or the transfer case fluid starts to leak.

You can have pin hole leaks that you can live with for years, OR you can have something that doesn't hold a charge for more than a few days.

If you have enough fluid in the system, you should have some sweaty pipes under the hood (usually around the recharge port because they are bare there).

The way freon works is pretty cool, but I'll leave that alone.

Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SCORE!

I went and got a $40 can of refrigerant and filled it per the instructions. Made my day when I heard the compressor turn on. I'm not sure if I filled it enough, though I think I have the gist of what it's supposed to be doing. When the compressor is off, the pressure drops into the white. When it turns on, it jumps to high green. Is this correct? In any case, it's blowing VERY cold now.

I'll watch for leaks over the next few days. The stuff I bought has a leak fix stuff but I know that's not going to take care of anything significant.

Thanks guys! I'll keep checking back here.

So glad I (hopefully) don't have to replace anything. I negotiated the dealer down about an extra grand cause of the AC not working. Told em.. you fix it or I take it as is and you knock off another thousand.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You have a leak somewhere. Careful with those cans of crap you get at walpart stores. They normally have oil in them to try and block leaks. I killed a compressor with those things. Had a leak in my jeep, but when I filled it with that stuff it would cool for a couple months. Enough to get me through summer. Eventually it would just come out within a few days. Ended up costing $1900 to get it fixed they had to replace basically the whole a system. This was a buddy of mIne that even did it for me. Would have cost substantially more some where else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. So... it would probably be best then to have a mechanic check this now to find a leak especially knowing the system is otherwise okay. I'm taking it to someone tomorrow for the CV axles and will have them check that too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm. So... it would probably be best then to have a mechanic check this now to find a leak especially knowing the system is otherwise okay. I'm taking it to someone tomorrow for the CV axles and will have them check that too.
Definitely find the leak. Likely the compressor. That's a common failure on most ac systems. Also cheaper to replace now. I had to replace the compressor, accumulator, evaporator coil and high pressure switch.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Definitely find the leak. Likely the compressor. That's a common failure on most ac systems. Also cheaper to replace now. I had to replace the compressor, accumulator, evaporator coil and high pressure switch.
.... or you get lucky & it's just an o-ring or other seal that needs replacing. Cross your fingers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to have it looked at yesterday and they told me there's no reason to do anything right now with either problem. They told me to watch the A/C for leaks and bring it back if it stops working again..

And the CV axles looked good enough to go another 50,000 miles. They told me that the labor costs would be almost the same to take it off and look at as it would be to replace the axles. There's no noise or play in the axle so might as well wait until they absolutely need to be replaced to do it.

So for now.. no out of pocket expenses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts