Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am writing this post in the hope that it helps anyone else in the search for a questions about the Ridgeline’s capability. Why do you maybe care? Because our 21 BE made it all possible. I should also say, looking back I wish I would’ve reached out to Honda for some sort of deal in promoting their truck for how capable it really is! I want to first thank you all for your help over the past year and a half helping my wife and I buy our ‘21 BE and for everyone sharing their helpful information.

In the fall of 2021, my wife and I decided it was time for a big change, as many others did. We had spent the previous 4 years living in Denver CO far away from our families on the east coast of the US. We decided to do a year long road trip where we would spend time visiting our families in all the different regions in which they lived. Additionally, we would spend some time in cities or regions of the US that we wanted to experience in person. Ultimately, we decided to leave Denver and start from the North Shore area in MA. We planned a route that would take us roughly around the perimeter of the country clock-wise until we reached our starting point back in MA.

From Danvers, MA —> Cape May, NJ —> Hudson Valley, NY —> ADK, NY —> Buffalo, NY —> Coatesville, PA, —> Norfolk, VA —> Asheville, NC —> Austin, TX —> San Clemente, CA —> Lincoln City, OR —> Camano, WA —> Kalispell MT —> Denver, CO —> Chicago, IL —> Danvers, MA. In each of these places we lived and worked out of Air-BNBs. We are both fortunate enough to have remote jobs that allowed us to continue during our travels. Not only did we travel with a year’s worth of clothes (including jackets), toiletries, kitchen items, bikes, tools, work equipment, but we also had our 55lb dog throughout the entire trip. To do this, we needed a truck that was capable for the long haul and had the comfort features and storage space we needed.

To start this trip, we sold off everything except for what we could fit in the cab and bed (covered by the OEM tonneau) and towed with a Uhaul 5x8 trailer to the east coast - we averaged about 16mpg. Later, we used the hitch to carry our two mountain bikes with a Yakima full swing bike rack. While most of our travel was highway based, we drove up many rough mountain “dirt” roads, through snowy passes, and in and around flooded sections of road. What im most proud of is following one of my buddies (driving a Gladiator) up and down Switzerland Trail just outside of Boulder CO (its a pretty easy trail but the Ridgeline killed it with aired down stock tires). On the longer hauls (bed loaded up) we’d average about 23-24 mpg. Fully loaded the truck accelerated with ease. As far as the infotainment, we’re all aware of the problematic CarPlay/Android Auto cutting out here and there, which was at times frustrating, but instances were few and far between when a OEM usb cord was connecting the phone to the unit. We didn’t even try to use the wireless charger.

What we carried:
  • 4 x 27 Gallon Bins in the bed for all weather clothes, kitchen items, and work equipment (including two full size monitors)
  • 1 x soft shoe carrier (roughly 0.5’x1.5’x4’)
  • 2 x large soft duffles for bedding & jackets
  • 1 x 15 gallon bin for Chemex coffee equipment
  • 2 x queen sized pillows
  • 2 x backpacks for misc items + work laptops
  • 1 x plastic dog food container (holds contents of a 40 lb dog food bag)
  • 1 x 10 gallon misc tool container
  • 1 x expandable dog crate
  • 1 x dog bed
  • 1 x cooler for bulk perishables
  • 2 x 52.5 lb bowflex modular dumbbells (i know)
  • 1 x 40 lb bowflex modular kettle bell (again i know)
  • 2 x full size mountain bikes
  • 2 x helmets
  • 1 x milk crate full of misc items
It’s hard to sum up the year into one post with a few pictures, but hopefully you get the idea im trying to get across. This trip was one of the best experiences my wife and I have had in our adult lives and it it was only possible with a reliable vehicle like the Ridgeline. We had 0 problems after putting on nearly 18k miles in our first year of truck ownership - just the recommended oil changes and tire rotations. Thanks for reading, I hope someone finds this useful. I’m really proud of my truck and now I need to find a place where I can give it a good wash and wax!

• Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Sky Cloud Plant Land vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Grille

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Sky

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Hood

Tire Car Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
I wonder what my wife is going to say when I tell her, "Honey, I've got something special in mind for the Ridgeline." I also live in Denver and our kids live near the east coast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

I am writing this post in the hope that it helps anyone else in the search for a questions about the Ridgeline’s capability. Why do you maybe care? Because our 21 BE made it all possible. I should also say, looking back I wish I would’ve reached out to Honda for some sort of deal in promoting their truck for how capable it really is! I want to first thank you all for your help over the past year and a half helping my wife and I buy our ‘21 BE and for everyone sharing their helpful information.

In the fall of 2021, my wife and I decided it was time for a big change, as many others did. We had spent the previous 4 years living in Denver CO far away from our families on the east coast of the US. We decided to do a year long road trip where we would spend time visiting our families in all the different regions in which they lived. Additionally, we would spend some time in cities or regions of the US that we wanted to experience in person. Ultimately, we decided to leave Denver and start from the North Shore area in MA. We planned a route that would take us roughly around the perimeter of the country clock-wise until we reached our starting point back in MA.

From Danvers, MA —> Cape May, NJ —> Hudson Valley, NY —> ADK, NY —> Buffalo, NY —> Coatesville, PA, —> Norfolk, VA —> Asheville, NC —> Austin, TX —> San Clemente, CA —> Lincoln City, OR —> Camano, WA —> Kalispell MT —> Denver, CO —> Chicago, IL —> Danvers, MA. In each of these places we lived and worked out of Air-BNBs. We are both fortunate enough to have remote jobs that allowed us to continue during our travels. Not only did we travel with a year’s worth of clothes (including jackets), toiletries, kitchen items, bikes, tools, work equipment, but we also had our 55lb dog throughout the entire trip. To do this, we needed a truck that was capable for the long haul and had the comfort features and storage space we needed.

To start this trip, we sold off everything except for what we could fit in the cab and bed (covered by the OEM tonneau) and towed with a Uhaul 5x8 trailer to the east coast - we averaged about 16mpg. Later, we used the hitch to carry our two mountain bikes with a Yakima full swing bike rack. While most of our travel was highway based, we drove up many rough mountain “dirt” roads, through snowy passes, and in and around flooded sections of road. What im most proud of is following one of my buddies (driving a Gladiator) up and down Switzerland Trail just outside of Boulder CO (its a pretty easy trail but the Ridgeline killed it with aired down stock tires). On the longer hauls (bed loaded up) we’d average about 23-24 mpg. Fully loaded the truck accelerated with ease. As far as the infotainment, we’re all aware of the problematic CarPlay/Android Auto cutting out here and there, which was at times frustrating, but instances were few and far between when a OEM usb cord was connecting the phone to the unit. We didn’t even try to use the wireless charger.

What we carried:
  • 4 x 27 Gallon Bins in the bed for all weather clothes, kitchen items, and work equipment (including two full size monitors)
  • 1 x soft shoe carrier (roughly 0.5’x1.5’x4’)
  • 2 x large soft duffles for bedding & jackets
  • 1 x 15 gallon bin for Chemex coffee equipment
  • 2 x queen sized pillows
  • 2 x backpacks for misc items + work laptops
  • 1 x plastic dog food container (holds contents of a 40 lb dog food bag)
  • 1 x 10 gallon misc tool container
  • 1 x expandable dog crate
  • 1 x dog bed
  • 1 x cooler for bulk perishables
  • 2 x 52.5 lb bowflex modular dumbbells (i know)
  • 1 x 40 lb bowflex modular kettle bell (again i know)
  • 2 x full size mountain bikes
  • 2 x helmets
  • 1 x milk crate full of misc items
It’s hard to sum up the year into one post with a few pictures, but hopefully you get the idea im trying to get across. This trip was one of the best experiences my wife and I have had in our adult lives and it it was only possible with a reliable vehicle like the Ridgeline. We had 0 problems after putting on nearly 18k miles in our first year of truck ownership - just the recommended oil changes and tire rotations. Thanks for reading, I hope someone finds this useful. I’m really proud of my truck and now I need to find a place where I can give it a good wash and wax!

Great post! Love the pics! In Florida I got 19.7mpg pulling a 6x12’ 3500lb uhaul at 55-60 mph (because they tell you to keep it at 55). Pulled easy but no real hills. Love my ‘22!

·
Registered
245 Posts
We had 0 problems after putting on nearly 18k miles in our first year of truck ownership - just the recommended oil changes and tire rotations. Thanks for reading, I hope someone finds this useful. I’m really proud of my truck and now I need to find a place where I can give it a good wash and wax!
Outstanding! I have a 2019, live at 7000' on a ranch 8 miles from pavement and my first year was outstanding also!

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
'20 BE with upgraded stereo, skid plates, and Sprint Booster v3
134 Posts
Slight off-topic post

Would you mind posting where your skid plates came from? How happy are you with them?
I bought the skids plates from No-Lo Designs (front and rear differential). They work very well. I do recommend them but there are others (Burtman Industries) as well. I recall that both have members on ROC.

Returning back to main topic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts