Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Now that that's out of the way...

I have an '08 that is coming up on the 100k miles mark. So, I'm going to get the timing belt done soon, as well as, the VTM & transfer case fluid changes.

I'll do oil & trans. fluid changes at my condo because they are so simple. The stuff listed above I will have done at the dealer or a local mechanic.

An old buddy of mine used to work at a Ducati dealer and confessed to me that many of the bikes that came in got "wall service". So, I'm concerned that these vital fluid and belt changes may not be done.

How can I determine/confirm that the 3 services that I'm going to pay for are actually performed? Any tricks that I can use?

TIA,
TJ

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you can do the oil and tranny, you can also do the VTM, and xfer case. I think they are actually easier than the tranny. That is the best way to KNOW it is done. Otherwise be sure to go to a place that will allow you to watch.

As for the timing belt, request that you receive the old parts. Still no guarantee it was done, but it is better than nothing. Although I'm no dealer service fan, I will say most dealers are usually pretty good about doing the TB service because they know Honda specifies it and you will be back there with a shotgun if your TB breaks later on. Shop around for best price. Most change the water pump and tensioner at the same time while it is all open to avoid having a failure prior to the next TB change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips! I am not even supposed to be changing my own oil & tranny fluid in my condo complex. A neighbor, 3 doors down, likes to play hall monitor and report people to the authorities. So, I am going to have someone else do it.

Maybe there is something I can put on the drain bolts to determine if they even put a wrench on them. I dunno.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I am not even supposed to be changing my own oil & tranny fluid in my condo complex. A neighbor, 3 doors down, likes to play hall monitor and report people to the authorities. So, I am going to have someone else do it.

Maybe there is something I can put on the drain bolts to determine if they even put a wrench on them. I dunno.
Can you do it in the parking lot of a local auto store? I have seen people doing that, they may even recycle the old fluid when your done...something to ask them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose that's a possibility but I definitely am not going to do the timing belt swap myself. I'll get the 3 things done by someone else. I might buy the parts & fluids myself to save a few $$$ but I am still worried about "wall service".:D

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I suppose that's a possibility but I definitely am not going to do the timing belt swap myself. I'll get the 3 things done by someone else. I might buy the parts & fluids myself to save a few $$$ but I am still worried about "wall service".:D
If you use a reputable shop, then "Yes" regarding the paranoia. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The timing belt work is not something to cut corners on. I never recommend the dealer for anything....except the TB service. I do nearly all of my own service work, on 5 different vehicles, but I take the RL to the dealer for the TB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts