Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C seems to work fine when it's in the 70s outside. When it gets really hot out (over 80 degrees), it will take up to 30 min to get cold. Does it just need a recharge (it's a 2006 with 162k miles)?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It's "possible" you can get a recharge & be fine for a good long while..... But it's more likely you'll need to get a leak fixed.... hopefully just an inexpensive seal somewhere.
If you take it to a reputable shop they'll check for leaks before they'll recharge it for you (& you'll pay for that of course). But getting it done right usually means only having to get it done once!. :)

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Keep in mind even a properly functioning AC can only drop the ambient temperature by about 30-degrees, so when't it really hot outside there is only so much the AC can do to cool the interior.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,885 Posts
Our 2006 Pilot with 120k on the clock seems to need a colder setting that it used to in order to maintain a more comfy temp. I need to have that looked at as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning it was 72 and my A/C was set to 66. I noticed some white cloudy stuff similar to smoke or fog spewing out the vents when I turned on the A/C. It went away after 5 min. What the heck?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
This morning it was 72 and my A/C was set to 66. I noticed some white cloudy stuff similar to smoke or fog spewing out the vents when I turned on the A/C. It went away after 5 min. What the heck?
Condensation, just like the trails left by planes or the frost on your breath on a cold day

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Condensation, just like the trails left by planes or the frost on your breath on a cold day
You should see it down here in Southeast Georgia the last few days. After about 30 minutes, open the door and with the air blend in recirculate mode. You should see the mist.

We have been having some un-godly humidity the last few days.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ready for some self-deprecating levity?

We don't get humidity at all too much around here. But that doesn't mean we don't see similar effects. I am embarrassed to admit that my absent-minded brain is getting worse in my older years.... enough so, that I didn't realize I had my glasses on yesterday as I was standing there with my back turned, waiting ...... until the water began to get hot enough in the shower that they started to fog up! :( Yes... I was in the shower with my glasses on. WTF, over??

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, yes. Duh, I should have known that.

You should see it down here in Southeast Georgia the last few days. After about 30 minutes, open the door and with the air blend in recirculate mode. You should see the mist. We have been having some un-godly humidity the last few days.
Lived in Atlanta for 7 years before moving to New England, so I know what you're talking about! People up here complain about the humidity, but it's nothing compared to the Southeast!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I examined all my lines and hoses and they look okay, so I decided to try to recharge the system myself in hopes that I have a small leak somewhere. The instructions say to locate the low pressure port. Is this the port with a blue cap that's easily accessible to the left of the A/C belt or is this the port with a black cap that's lower in relation to the ground, closer to the radiator? They both look similar and have metal lines going to the passenger side firewall, so I'm not sure which is which.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ready for some self-deprecating levity?

We don't get humidity at all too much around here. But that doesn't mean we don't see similar effects. I am embarrassed to admit that my absent-minded brain is getting worse in my older years.... enough so, that I didn't realize I had my glasses on yesterday as I was standing there with my back turned, waiting ...... until the water began to get hot enough in the shower that they started to fog up! :( Yes... I was in the shower with my glasses on. WTF, over??
Have you ever gone to bed, and realized you still had your glasses on?

I have!

Off topic... carry on.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey Parsec,
If you're going to be doing work on you RL yourself (which is a great idea if you can bring the necessary skills IMO), then you really ought to get yourself a service manual. If you do a search on the forum, I think you'll find that one of our members can send you a PDF file of it. Or of course you can buy a harcopy from someone. You will find it invaluable as you undertake new things you've not done before.

Also, I'd highly recommend a YouTube search for somebody charging A/C on a RL, Pilot, or Odyssey.... I'm thinking they'll all be very similar (maybe even V6 Accord?). If a picture's worth a 1000 words, then these videos you can find on line of the actual work being done are priceless! Take a look & see what you can find.

I have not personally worked on our A/C, so can't help you out directly, but I think you can find what you need with a little bit of time searching Google/YouTube.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Parsec,
I can report that the A/C in my '13 doesn't feel cold at all, and honestly feels just barely cool, when it's over 110 outside. Even at 100 - 105 it's not good until I've been on the highway or freeway for a while.

At 80 - 90 it's downright cold.

I've considered going to the dealer to ask them to check it out, but haven't followed through. I've been away on TDY for a few months, and now that I'm back I'm considering it again.

Interested to hear what you find.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think they should include twin-A/C units in the cars/trucks for you folks there in Arizona (& Nevada/NM/Tex?).... it gets MEAN hot out your way. And on the way towards you in California too, of course. Palm Springs & vicinity is a place to be avoided in the summer.

I'll be going thru Phoenix in a couple of weeks. 'Am hoping it cools a bit by then??? It was a muggy 77 here today; no complaints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a thought... has anyone put a meat thermometer in their louvers to
see what temp the air is actually blowing, should be about 50 degrees.
Penna doesn't get hot though July and Aug does get humid. I don't use A/C
much as gas mileage goes to 15 mpg when I do. Also always start with
internal (cabin) cooling first, than maybe switch to cooling outside air.

Mikey

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my 134a in the mail this week (slow amazon free shipping) and followed the directions, but I'm not sure if I did it right. After charging the system, my pressure gauge needle is moving all over the place. With the engine running and the A/C on max, the pressure will read 25psi then slowly drop to 15psi. Then I hear a click and the fan stops running, the PSI jumps back up to 25psi and slowly rises to 45psi. Then I hear another click and the fan kicks back on and the gauge will immediately drop back down to 25psi and slowly drop to 15psi from there until the fan stops running again and the PSi jumps back up to 25psi and slowly rises back up to 45psi. This process keeps repeating itself. This is probably doing what it's supposed to do, but I have no clue about A/C systems. What's going on here :act014:

PS - At least I have very cold A/C right now. Also at 45psi, the needle is still at the high end of the "good" range indicated by the pressure gauge after adjusting for the ambient temperature so I don't think I overcharged it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts