Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many have probably never heard of this cat-back for the RL and nor had I until about 2 weeks ago. It was on amazon for $349 with free shipping(now $249).

http://www.amazon.com/Yonaka-Ridgeline-2006-2014-Stainless-Performance/dp/B013VMHY34/?tag=viglink20763-20

http://www.yonaka.com/Yonaka_2006_2014_Honda_Ridgeline_Catback_Exhaust_p/ymcb-rid0614.htm

Straight from there website.

"Yonaka 2006-2014 Honda Ridgeline Catback Exhaust (All models)

This Yonaka Motorsports catback exhaust system is made of fully polished stainless steel with 2.5" OD mandrel bended piping. Expect a quiet, clean, deep hum, without that irritating mid range raspy sound.

Direct bolt-on fit to OEM. All installation hardware is included.

Disclaimer: Recommended for off-road use only. Check with your local ministry of transportation in regards to exhaust regulations."

At first it seemed to good to be true for the price. I started doing some research online about the company but found little negatives about them or there products. They seems to have decent products with good review across several Honda forums. After debating about purchasing for about a week the price dropped to $299 on amazon and $289 with free shipping on the yonaka website(its now $249!). The price was just to good to pass up and I bought one. Unfortunately I won't have time to install if for about another week but I've got some teaser pics for now. Once I get it on I will try to get some video of the sound uploaded. From most the Honda forums this exhaust is pretty similar to stock at idle and gets a bit louder in the upper RPM from stock.

Inside the resonator

Inside the muffler, from what I've found online the muffler is a glasspack design

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Looks nice! Maybe it would work well with the J pipe mod as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks nice! Maybe it would work well with the J pipe mod as well.

It should work very nicely with the rv6 high flow precats and j pipe I already have installed. I feel the stock cat back is the biggest choke point now, this should help out.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Beautiful hardware. Looks to have nice attention to detail. Polishing tubes is a b!tch even on a production floor. Will be watching to see how your install goes. Nice find!

IME "recommended for off-road use" usually means the producer of aftermarket stuff has skipped verification of compliance with whacky state emission regs like the over bearing state of California. Wonder if your pre-cats and this rig will maintain exhaust gas restrictions?

Very curious what your system will do to RL pipe music!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very nice setup, thanks for the pics!

My brother in law has this brand system on his integra GSR, sounds nice.

I liked his and the look of yours enough, that I ordered one myself to replace my factory setup (performance wise, my truck is stock). Got it for $249.00 on sale with free shipping, from the manufacturers website, which looks to be in Canada.

I'll post pics of arrival and install and make a movie or two for the curious people as well.
I'm looking for an intake system now to compliment the exhaust, I have previous experience with heavy modding on GM stuff(cams, head work, N20, etc.) but don't think I'll be messing with anything else but the intake, I want reliability at this point in my life (Old guy with kids, lol) vs. performance.

Thanks for again posting the information and pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Ah crap. JonB's posts on the beautiful pre-cats in this thread, and the lovely Yonaka cat back pipes started a synapse snowball -just what I needed, something else to dream about - thanks alot PAL! Even started looking into California tail pipe emission limits, exemptions and such. This (expletive deleted) intrusive state sticks a probe up the pipes of qualified vehicles so these mods would be an expensive risk if the RL fell outside of measured limits. The combo of added torque and HP, mild exhaust sound and pretty hardware is tough to resist.

Producer RV6 is careful to dance around the topic, their components seem to favor those states using eyeballs to confirm emission compliance. Is there anyone who knows by experience if pass-through cats push emissions beyond limits? Casual searches returned ambiguous info.

One thing for sure: people get wrapped around the axle on this topic. Read thru a bit of this thread from the v6performance.net site. The internets is a funny place. LOL.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7g-honda-accord-performance-discussion/212097-rv6-pre-cat-delete-vs-hfpc.html

BTW: in that thread, the discussion addresses something thats occupied space in my head for quite some time. That is: what are the down sides to placing 'pre-cats' so closely to cylinder heads. Realizing their is much speculation on that, it seems logical that - given the function of a cat converter, that much heat so close to cylinder heads comes at a reliability cost. One poster in the thread above mentions "cats coming apart" - which we all know is true of any cat anywhere in exhaust flow. Being so close to the heads, the poster mentions engine "gulping" (my term, not his) upon shutting down. The crap inside the cat is pulled back into cylinders with open exhaust valves, resulting in scoring and eventual oil consumption. From that single perspective, moving or deleting the pre-cat nets two benefits - easing exhaust gas escape and no ingestion of debris at shut down - increasing engine life. Since OEMs are forced to comply with gove regs, it seems there are definitive trade offs on this stuff. Ultimately, consumers pay the price for gov "good intentions". PFFFT. Stupid government!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
There is very little anecdotal evidence on this forum of engine longevity issues that could attributed to excessive heat from the precats. In the absence of SMOD failures / cylinder 4/5 issues the Ridge's engine seems to be easily capable of 200k miles +.

You also don't see large numbers of cat failures either.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah crap. JonB's posts on the beautiful pre-cats in this thread, and the lovely Yonaka cat back pipes started a synapse snowball -just what I needed, something else to dream about - thanks alot PAL! Even started looking into California tail pipe emission limits, exemptions and such. This (expletive deleted) intrusive state sticks a probe up the pipes of qualified vehicles so these mods would be an expensive risk if the RL fell outside of measured limits. The combo of added torque and HP, mild exhaust sound and pretty hardware is tough to resist.

Producer RV6 is careful to dance around the topic, their components seem to favor those states using eyeballs to confirm emission compliance. Is there anyone who knows by experience if pass-through cats push emissions beyond limits? Casual searches returned ambiguous info.

One thing for sure: people get wrapped around the axle on this topic. Read thru a bit of this thread from the v6performance.net site. The internets is a funny place. LOL.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7g-honda-accord-performance-discussion/212097-rv6-pre-cat-delete-vs-hfpc.html

BTW: in that thread, the discussion addresses something thats occupied space in my head for quite some time. That is: what are the down sides to placing 'pre-cats' so closely to cylinder heads. Realizing their is much speculation on that, it seems logical that - given the function of a cat converter, that much heat so close to cylinder heads comes at a reliability cost. One poster in the thread above mentions "cats coming apart" - which we all know is true of any cat anywhere in exhaust flow. Being so close to the heads, the poster mentions engine "gulping" (my term, not his) upon shutting down. The crap inside the cat is pulled back into cylinders with open exhaust valves, resulting in scoring and eventual oil consumption. From that single perspective, moving or deleting the pre-cat nets two benefits - easing exhaust gas escape and no ingestion of debris at shut down - increasing engine life. Since OEMs are forced to comply with gove regs, it seems there are definitive trade offs on this stuff. Ultimately, consumers pay the price for gov "good intentions". PFFFT. Stupid government!
Unfortunately I don't have any solid info and my best advice is search search search the internet to find what other Honda owners have used and passed emissions. I don't have to worry about emissions so I have done zero research on the matter.

There is very little anecdotal evidence on this forum of engine longevity issues that could attributed to excessive heat from the precats. In the absence of SMOD failures / cylinder 4/5 issues the Ridge's engine seems to be easily capable of 200k miles +.

You also don't see large numbers of cat failures either.
I have read the same thread about the precats causing excessive heat and possibly causing engine failure but the guy had zero evidence to support his claim. Now I've seen that non sense on several different Honda forums(you know if you read it on the internet it must be true). While I can agree that it is probably not the best design for performance I have seen zero evidence or a single person even claim the precats caused an engine failure.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well guys I'm sorry to say but this cat-back did not work out for me. The product itself is quality and the fit and finish is awesome but the drone it gives off is just not for me. I installed it a few days ago and took it for a test drive but the drone was just to much for me so I put the stock system back on. It drones from just above idle to about 3k and was just annoying. It sounds pretty good at idle and has a nice rumble. It really is not that much louder at WOT but it sounds really good. The problem is the drone is right were you spend 90% of your diving in the 1500-3k range. IDK if the drone is there with a stock setup or if my mods have made it worse so hopefully Fastdrvr can comment on it when he installs his on a stock setup. Video links of idle and cruising at bottom of this post.

I have not completely given up on this exhaust and will likely try putting a different muffler on it to get rid of the drone. Even with spending another $75-100 on a muffler and some welding it is still way cheaper than anything else out there. Any ideas on a quiet muffler?

I did't really take many pics as its pretty straight forward install but I did take some of the pipe size.

Stock pipe size at inlet but that tapers down much closer to 2in as the pipe goes back.

Yonaka pipe size and it stays a consistent size all the way out the tailpipe. Yes I painted that nice shiny stainless black.

Quick idle video. I did have a problem with the rear muffler hanger rattling on my curt trailer hitch which you can hear in the video at the end. A little trimming and it would have been fine.

https://youtu.be/6g5cFlmiCko

Drive along video, its nothing great but you can get a feel for the sound and constant drone while cruising.

https://youtu.be/fzu7VdKO3cE

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out to your liking. Hopefully, someone with direct experience can answer your question regarding a muffler.

Say, isn't there some sort of law against painting polished stainless? LOL

Had an 06 Hemi Ram with a fat Banks cat back that sounded great and was so pretty I always thought it a shame to be hidden from view. After a couple years, I'd catch a glance now and then of the once shiny pipe/muffler - made me cringe every time. Not enough o get under and clean or anything but still cringy-ish.

If the choice comes up in the future, I'm gonna remember your trick.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry it didn't work out to your liking. Hopefully, someone with direct experience can answer your question regarding a muffler.

Say, isn't there some sort of law against painting polished stainless? LOL

Had an 06 Hemi Ram with a fat Banks cat back that sounded great and was so pretty I always thought it a shame to be hidden from view. After a couple years, I'd catch a glance now and then of the once shiny pipe/muffler - made me cringe every time. Not enough o get under and clean or anything but still cringy-ish.

If the choice comes up in the future, I'm gonna remember your trick.
I've done the fancy chrome wheels and nice polished exhaust on other cars. My truck has nothing shiny on it all, the chrome trim and emblems are either removed or plasti dipped, black wheels, black grill, blacked out taillights ect. A nice polished exhaust would stick out like a sore thumb on the truck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Finally got mine installed. Sounds good, nice and mellow, deep tone, no raspiness, very little drone driving around, quieter than expected, which is a good thing. Surprisingly it sounds like what they advertised, impressed so far.

Here's a few videos on my photobucket account:
http://s220.photobucket.com/user/fastdrvr23/library/Ridgeline Exhaust

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got mine installed. Sounds good, nice and mellow, deep tone, no raspiness, very little drone driving around, quieter than expected, which is a good thing. Surprisingly it sounds like what they advertised, impressed so far.

Here's a few videos on my photobucket account:
http://s220.photobucket.com/user/fastdrvr23/library/Ridgeline Exhaust
Sounds much better than mine did,. I don't hear any drone in your videos even just listening to my own video my ears hurt from the drone it had. I really think the added exhaust volume and lack restriction from the High flow precats, j-pipe and no third cat are what caused the drone. Good news is tomorrow I am going to try a different muffler on this system and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds much better than mine did,. I don't hear any drone in your videos even just listening to my own video my ears hurt from the drone it had. I really think the added exhaust volume and lack restriction from the High flow precats, j-pipe and no third cat are what caused the drone. Good news is tomorrow I am going to try a different muffler on this system and see how it turns out.
I would think that's what caused the drone in your system, having the free flowing exhaust up stream. The system has mellowed out a little more in the 100 or so miles I've driven since install. It's very non obtrusive and with the radio on I can barely hear it.

Good luck with the muffler. I think the system is well put together, welds look very good, fit really well, once you get the right muffler installed it should sound great. Should complement your other mods as well, your truck looks great, hang in there, you'll get it figured out.

The only other V6 I've installed any sort of exhaust on was a 2007 Nissan Frontier. It took a while to find the right setup, ended up adding a resonator to fix its droning issues. Never thought I'd install anything aftermarket on the Ridgeline, other vehicles I'd tear right into them when I was younger, new or otherwise. Anyways, happy with the exhaust so far.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Any noticeable changes in power delivery?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think that's what caused the drone in your system, having the free flowing exhaust up stream. The system has mellowed out a little more in the 100 or so miles I've driven since install. It's very non obtrusive and with the radio on I can barely hear it.

Good luck with the muffler. I think the system is well put together, welds look very good, fit really well, once you get the right muffler installed it should sound great. Should complement your other mods as well, your truck looks great, hang in there, you'll get it figured out.

The only other V6 I've installed any sort of exhaust on was a 2007 Nissan Frontier. It took a while to find the right setup, ended up adding a resonator to fix its droning issues. Never thought I'd install anything aftermarket on the Ridgeline, other vehicles I'd tear right into them when I was younger, new or otherwise. Anyways, happy with the exhaust so far.

Well once again I am disappointed the new muffler still has drone, its not as bad but its still there. I went with a thrush hush muffler which is pretty much the quietest aftermarket muffler I could find and I've still got drone. I think the resonator is going to have to get swapped and I may have to add the third cat back into the mix to calm it down a bit. For now I am done with it until after all the holiday rush calms down. Hopefully santa will bring me the welder I wanted so I can really start playing around with this setup and get it right.

While I am not stock I definitely noticed a difference. Did't notice much on the low end(HFPC and j-pipe helped there) but the top end really came alive and it pulls really strong from 3.5k to redline with my setup. Main reason I went with this cat-back was because with my setup I think the wimpy 2in stock pipes are pretty restrictive and after a few runs with this cat-back on I can say for sure it is. Which is why I have not given up on getting this thing set up right with no drone. If there was no gain to be had I would have just given up already.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for posting in detail. Good stuff overall. Would love to see a dyno run!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine's been there a couple hundred miles now and can actually tell a little difference. Nothing huge, but power delivery seems smoother in the limited rev range I use normally. Between 3 and 4k rpm, it seems to be smoother, with a little more acceleration between 4k and 5k. I rarely get over 4k rpms in my normal driving, other than one merge onto the interstate in the morning.

I've gotten used the sound now and intend on keeping it as it is, wasn't totally sure when I first installed it as I tow fairly often and we use it on short trips. My wife is happy with it also.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Jonb what trimming did you need to do?

fastdrvr did you have to trim or modify yours also?

I see hardware is included, but did it come with gaskets for the flange joints?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts