Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a new comparison article in USNEWS and World Report. To be honest it is bad on many levels. But the 1st comparison "Price" was downright dishonest.

Chevrolet Colorado vs. Honda Ridgeline | U.S. News & World Report

I never expected them to respond to my comments so I didn't think to capture the original wording but I this is a good paraphrase

The Colorado starts at $20,100, which is over $9,000 cheaper than the Ridgeline’s base price, The Honda Ridgeline starts at $29,475, which is expensive for the segment. Even in the top of the line Z71 trim the Colorado is only $29,945​

Nowhere did it mention that the Colorado they were price comparing was a 2 door small cab with inline 4 and 6 speed manual, 16 inch steel rim wheels and no tow hitch and zero creature comforts.

On a whim I filled out their comment card that suggested the comparison was well, dishonest. I said it would be fine to mention the Ridgeline does not come in a two door cab with 4 cylinder manual configuration and can not match the $20,100 starting price but the comparable Colorado to the base Ridgeline is a Colorado Crew cab short box with V6 and 18in alloy wheels with tow hitch added at an MSRP of $30,625.

I was surprised when I got this email back

Hi Richard,

Thank you for visiting our site.

The Colorado beat the Ridgeline in the pricing category mostly because its base price is so much lower.

However, I think you made a good point about the Ridgeline having more standard features than the Colorado. We made that point on that slide, but perhaps we didn’t make it clearly enough. I’ve updated the language on the slide to address that.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you again for your readership.

Carter

Carter MacLeod
Features Editor, Autos
U.S. News & World Report
1050 Thomas Jefferson St NW
Washington, DC 20007
[email protected]
202-955-2137​

The new text is far from perfect but still better.

Pricing
Winner: Chevrolet Colorado

The Colorado starts at $20,100, which is over $9,000 cheaper than the Ridgeline’s base price, although it should be noted that the Colorado has fewer standard features than the Ridgeline. The Colorado Base trim comes with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a regular cab, and a rearview camera. The Honda Ridgeline comes standard with a V6 engine, a crew cab, and a rearview camera, and it starts at $29,475, which is expensive for the segment. Both vehicles can cost well over $40,000 once you start adding options like nicer wheels and performance packages.​

BTW. the remainder of the article has many similar flaws. For instance under Safety Colorado wins by default because the Ridge hasn't been tested yet? Give me a break.

I was amused that they rate the Ridgeline better off road though.

I guess the lesson I learned is you can have an better effect on bad reviews by writing the author rather than getting into a firefight with readers in comments.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts