Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris

·
Registered
797 Posts
I went from a 2006 RL to a 2019 RL, so not much help there.

Reactions: sheitmei

·
Registered
122 Posts
I traded my incredibly thirsty 4.8L V8 two wheel drive GMC Sierra for a Chevy HHR. I was approaching a major maintenance milestone that would be $1000.00, & I didn’t relish that much. I better than doubled my gas mileage with the HHR.
A Colorado or possibly a Canyon in DENALI trim passed me yesterday. Bet that truck cost more than a BE edition, but still cramped inside.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had two previous Tacoma's. 2019 and 2015. Very happy with the move to the Ridgeline since most of my driving is on paved roads. The extra cabin room with the improved ride and comfort were also a huge factor as well.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Had a '09 GMC Z71 V8 Canyon for 4 years before the Rigi and several full-size p/u prior to that. I'll never have another "off-road" pkg p/u.....beat you to death. The 5.3L V8 was fun in a smaller p/u but literally sucked when filling up (12-13 mpg). Even the better half is happy with the Rigi. (y)

Reactions: Pleease

·
Administrator
21,133 Posts
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris
Why would you buy a Colorado diesel over a Ridgeline other than for the 7,700 lb. tow rating? Your fuel cost per mile will be higher and so will your maintenance and repair costs. The diesel is also louder and less smooth than the gas V6. If you need more than 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity, the Ridgeline isn't the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I consolidated (having 5 vehicles was a bit much) and just purchased a 2020 RTL. Got rid of a 2000 Sierra 2wd long bed and traded in a 2008 Taco (I must say that Tacos hold their value incredibly). I'm a big guy at 6'7" 280# so the Taco never was comfortable. I did a ton of research (never owned a Honda) and compared and drove a number of midsizes and the RL is perfect for my wife and me. We camp and do lots of outdoor activities and have dogs but don't tow and off-roading is in my past, so the RL fits the bill, and is really, really comfortable. It really is a swiss army knife and should get more love. If I need more I'll borrow my buddy's Tundra. I think the new redesigned front end will get more buyers. My daily driver is a 4runner that you'd have to pry out of my dead hands, however.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went from a Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab to to 2019 Honda Ridgeline RL.
Happy? Don't know yet. Still miss my old truck.
Really do not care for the Push Button Start. Also there are some things on my Chevy I wish were on my RL that are not but should be...IE. Outdoor temperature, Compass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would you buy a Colorado diesel over a Ridgeline other than for the 7,700 lb. tow rating? Your fuel cost per mile will be higher and so will your maintenance and repair costs. The diesel is also louder and less smooth than the gas V6. If you need more than 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity, the Ridgeline isn't the right tool for the job.
The reason is for fuel MPGs. I’m not familiar with the MPGs on the RL. My wife has an MDX SHAWD with the 6 speed auto... it’s a nice ride but thirsty for sure. I also own a 7x16 cargo trailer that I’m considering turning into a camper.. so I have to also consider now that weight...

·
Administrator
21,133 Posts
Happy? Don't know yet. Really do not care for the Push Button Start. Also there are some things on my Chevy I wish were on my RL that are not but should be...ie. Outdoor temperature, Compass, etc.
Honda's budget is biased toward powertrains and safety.

Chevrolet's budget is biased toward features.

The reason is for fuel MPGs. I’m not familiar with the MPGs on the RL. My wife has an MDX SHAWD with the 6 speed auto... it’s a nice ride but thirsty for sure. I also own a 7x16 cargo trailer that I’m considering turning into a camper.. so I have to also consider now that weight...
The Colorado is slightly more fuel efficient, but diesel is significantly more expensive than gasoline. You'll spend more on diesel for a Colorado than you will on gasoline for a Ridgeline.

Sources:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Happy? Don't know yet. Still miss my old truck.
Really do not care for the Push Button Start. Also there are some things on my Chevy I wish were on my RL that are not but should be...IE. Outdoor temperature, Compass.
You should have an outdoor temperature readout. Compass rear view mirrors are available as an add on.

·
Administrator
21,133 Posts
You should have an outdoor temperature readout. Compass rear view mirrors are available as an add on.
@wbm has an RT which lacks an exterior temperature indicator. This feature is only on the RTS and above which have automatic climate control. The RT trim is very basic.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
165 Posts
I've gone almost 25 years between trucks. My last one was a 2WD Chevy S-10. In the intervening years, a growing family dictated a move from small trucks to sedans, SUV's, and minivans. But I'm back. I've only had my Ridgeline for almost a week, but the upgrade from a basic S-10 over 2 decades ago has been nothing short of a miracle. I will grudgingly admit that I miss driving a manual transmission, but the comfort and functionality of the Ridgeline more than compensates for my nostalgia for a 5 speed manual!

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,716 Posts
I started driving in the late 70s with a '76 Chevy 2500 4x4 (350), as well as a '71 Ford F250 2wd (391), then an '83 Chevy 2500 with 6.2L diesel, then an '87 Dodge 3/4-ton 4x4 (360). These were all trucks on the farm, and the '87 Dodge is still being used there.

I owned a '92 Dakota 2wd (318) from 1994 - 2002.

I drive a lot of 150/1500 and 250/2500 trucks at work. I also do a lot of towing with them.

When I needed another truck at home, I went with the Ridgeline. Why? Because I did NOT want a truck, but I needed a truck. The Ridgeline does truck stuff without the ride penalty of the typical body-on-frame truck. It really rides and drives like a luxury SUV. If you like the ride/drive of the MDX, the Ridgeline is very similar.

When I get back in the 2500 trucks at work, I always check to see if I'm in low gear or have the parking brake engage when I take off, because those trucks (a 6.2 Chevy and a 5.9 Ram) feel like they are dragging an anchor when compared to driving the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea the diesel doesn’t quite excite me much since there’s emission controls that can make u have a bad day... I’m downsizing from and HD gas truck so it will be a change.. the RL really looked good since it’s a Honda and offers so much... what really bothers me is how people can’t see that it’s a truck... I just shake my head and laugh.. I don’t want the Gm V6... so diesel was the other option... I’m going to run by Honda later this month for sure and take a look.. it looks like this year will be when I purchase. I’m thinking the RL can pull my 7x16 trailer... if not I will have to reconsider what I need to do...

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,716 Posts
If you can wait a couple years, you might get a 2.7T in the Colorado, along with the 10AT, which could be a sweet setup.

If you need to buy now, check out the Ridgeline. It holds its resale value well, somewhere between the Colorado and the Tacoma, so you can trade over to a Colorado in a couple years if you need more towing capacity.

My issue with Ford, Chevy, Ram (and Toyota to an extent) is that they put all of their R&D, all of their goodies into the full-size trucks and very little into their mid-size trucks. They would much rather you buy the full-size, because there is more profit (greater ROI) for them with the bigger trucks. Honda doesn't have that issue, and they should update the Ridgeline significantly every six years in line with the Pilot, since they share a lot of architecture. The other mfrs get away with as little as they can on the mid-size trucks, and only update them due to competition or regulation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an old ‘93 Chevy Silverado 1500, the basic of basic trucks used for farm work before I owned it. Even with its long bed it’s not as wide or tall (I think) as the Ridgeline, nor of course can it store as much in the cab. The bed could hold anything though which was nice, but no trunk naturally. Definitely enjoying more convenience from the Ridgeline, and the Ridgeline also is unique enough to have character of its own, something I enjoyed in the old truck first.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL
32 Posts
I had F-150's for 35 years, than went to a nissan frontier, in June I got a 2020 RTL, best riding vehicle & gas mileage I ever had in trucks, my RL averages 21.9 mpg, I should have gotten one a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts