Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris
Also... don't get the Colorado.. not the quality of the Silverado or Ridgeline and more difficult to get in and out of..

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Limits are towing capacity at 5,000 lbs. and the shallow bed. (As a former trucker, load limits are bounded by height, not depth; you just need good cargo straps. ) In the standard bed are 8 excellent cargo latches; unlike all other pickups. Also, the in-bed fender bump to fender bump is 50 inches so 4x8 foot materials lie flat, unlike all other mid-sized pickups.
Great points.

I hesitated a beat to move from my 2007 RL to the 2019 model mostly because I was put off by the shallow bed, thinking somehow that it'd be an issue if I need to transport something tall, like a refrigerator. But then I realized, like you, that "the sky's the limit". And you're right - the tiedown points are great.

And in using the G2 over the last 16 months I've found that the shallow bed actually represents an ergonomic improvement, because now I can reach almost anything in the bed without climbing in or standing on a rear wheel, like I did seemingly hundreds of times to fetch something out of my old G1. For me it's much easier to use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded my incredibly thirsty 4.8L V8 two wheel drive GMC Sierra for a Chevy HHR. I was approaching a major maintenance milestone that would be $1000.00, & I didn’t relish that much. I better than doubled my gas mileage with the HHR.
A Colorado or possibly a Canyon in DENALI trim passed me yesterday. Bet that truck cost more than a BE edition, but still cramped inside.....
Before my used 2017 RTL-E (32K), I drove a 2002 Ford E350 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel for 18 years (155K). You have to want and need a diesel to be able to come out on it. You cannot justify it financially. You cannot justify it mechanically unless you take pleasure in the straightforward operation of a diesel. If you actually want and need pulling power then don’t buy a Ridgeline. That is the only reason not to buy one against any diesel. Modern Diesel engines that have been “cleaned up” have been compromised in my opinion. Tho old Cummins 5 cylinder, the Duramax, and the 7.3 Ford were classic engines in my opinion. True Diesel engines. They were efficient and powerful. Worth owning if you needed to pull something. I love my RTL-E

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris
Went from Dodge 2500 Cummings to Honda RL. Have had the RL 2 years it rides well, has in bed trunk, 2 way tailgate and is the best truck I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had Ford Rangers of all sorts,Regular cab,extended and the Sport Trac,2WD and $X4,Manual and Auto. Last one was a 2WD extended 2010 4.0L,Auto. Had 131K on it with hardly any problems since I purchased new. Really wanted to stay with the Ranger but after driving the new one when it came out,,a 4X4 and it rode like a lumber wagon ,I decided to check out the Ridge.Happy that I did. Bought a left over 2018 RTLE with everything I wanted that was unavailable with the Ranger.V-6 verus the damn 2.3,got leather,moon roof,power rear window ect,none of these were offered at the time on the Ford. My son bought a new Ranger last year and hates it,poor milage,30K and needed 4 new tires.According to him a POS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went from Dodge 2500 Cummings to Honda RL. Have had the RL 2 years it rides well, has in bed trunk, 2 way tailgate and is the best truck I’ve ever owned.
Don't get the colorado... I rode in one a lot with a friend... I have a 2019 Ridgeline RTL E and love it and now that I have it my friend wants to go in the Ridgeline...

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL-T
144 Posts
Wheels in the photo have been changed due to silliness.
Actually, I think those wheels on the RL look good. Any details?

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
589 Posts
At just over 460k miles, I sold my 1990 Chevy 2500, 6.2 Diesel 4x4 to buy the 07 RL. Prior to the diesel I had a 2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4, 1990 Ford F250 2wd, 1986 Toyota 4x4 truck (IFS), 1985 Toyota 4x4 (solid axle). Small mix of SUV's and autos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
]p zx
Actually, I think those wheels on the RL look good. Any details?
Rubs at near lock without unthinkable mods. Goes across flat mud WAY better than my 06 wrangler on those tires (until I lock a diff). Milage went down to 17 mpg! Still have the combo in the garage incase the aftermarket realizes RL suspension has more in common with off road side x sides than a Tacoma bro edition and crawling isn't the only sort of offroading.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL
4 Posts
Gents,
Kris
I was replacing a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road and closely considered another Taco, Ranger, and a Colorado (LT). The Ridgeline wasn’t even on my list. I loved my Toyota, but I never really used it for off roading purposes. On the advice of my son (who bought my Toyota), he strongly encouraged considering everything available in the midsize truck market. We happened by a Honda dealer, took an RL Sport for a drive. As we reached the first stoplight we decided it was a no-brainer.

I live in Colorado and though I don’t do any serious off roading, I do appreciate the ability to easily move thru snow and those not so easy to get to fishing spots.

The Ridgeline was a perfect fit for me —more roomy interior, AWD (no need to “shift-on-the-fly), comfortable ride, better gas mileage (in most cases), suitable towing capacity, and a few unexpected surprises. The dual action tailgate is a huge bonus, but the in bed trunk sealed the deal for me.

Much easier to get in/out, it’s proven worthy since Oct including a record 27” snowfall this past winter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went from a 2010 Tundra to a 2019 RTLE. Two reasons for the switch...
1. Parking a full size was a hassle.
2. The Tundra wouldn't fit in my garage.

Happy with the switch, however, we have since purchased a travel trailer and probably would have stayed with a full size if I had known prior. Don't get me wrong, the RTLE is fully capable of hauling my nearly 5000 lb trailer but I wish it had more torque. I also would have been able to get a bigger trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gents,
Kris

I used to have atundra. Priceline is much more comfortable time than any other truck. I get 25-27 not on the highway and about 21-22 not in town. My wife like a the ride as well. It's our primary family vehicle. I don't have a requirement for towing heavy loads anymore so I went for comfort, reliability and has mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2009 Hyundai Elantra SLE limited edition (they only made 1 billion of them) sun roof, power windows and locks. 275k flawless miles. Cheapest thing I ever drove and it paid me back in spades. No one would bother it, had a sweet aftermarket head unit in it. Donated it to wounded warriors foundation and it sold for 1100 at auction. It was time to give little Betsy up but damn was she dependable and cheap. Drove across country 4 times in it and took it Vancouver Canada . Shine on you little diamond wherever you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
My former son-in-law bought a Elantra new back then. Drove the wheels off it and had it totaled by a deer (in the headlights). He got more money than it was worth and bought some other brand car. It died a short life death and he bought another Elantra just because the first one was so good and reliable. He still has it. I'm sure it'll be around with him till death too. They are tiny cars with dinky engines and built very cheaply but are super stone cold reliable cars. And it's better with rusting than the old stone cold reliable Honda Civics were which disintegrated around the North east winters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gents,
Kris
When Explaining the 2007 Ridgline I own with 260,000 + Miles I refer to it as a luxury Car disguised as a truck nicest most reliable ride I have ever owned and I have owned a lot in 69 years buy the ridge Honda has finally worked out the 2.0 version but read the fourm may fixes and solutions been Great from 2007 my previous trucks were Datsun Littl Hustler 1976 s10 step side 1983 1997 Ford Ranger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents,
Kris
“Gents”? Really? I guess women don’t drive Ridgelines in your world.

·
Registered
236 Posts

I am choosing to believe...that that was sarcasm.

Reactions: Ray S

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
241 Posts
First truck we had was a 90's era Tacoma (can't even remember the exact year). The only good thing I can say about it was that it was relatively reliable (had the leaf springs break on it more than once). I hated that 4 cylinder truck, it was positively awful to drive. We eventually replace that with a '04 Tundra. The Tundra was a much better truck, but it still didn't drive very well. Just too big and "wallowy". On the plus side, it was well built, more powerful, and it took everything we threw at it in stride.

Purchased my first Ridgeline (2007) by accident. I was looking for a used "beater" hunting truck (the Tundra was gone) and the RL was not even on my radar. I was looking for an old Taco or Frontier, but the used examples I tested, drove and handled like s***. Happened by a Ridgeline at a local mom & pop used car lot and I took it for a test drive on a whim. It was a revelation! It did all the truck stuff I needed AND it actually drove and handled nicely. Had it as a second vehicle for years. Great in snow, tows great, and it was a beast off-road in fields and on hunting trails. The stupid in bed trunk is the best truck invention ever!!! I can't believe no other manufacturer has attempted to replicate it in some way (yes I know their frames make it difficult). It holds groceries, tons of luggage, or even a dressed buck on ice. Most of my hunting buddies scoffed at it until they rode in it. Riding in it generally shuts them up. I also know they all expected to have to tow me out of a field at some point. Never happened.....lol.

Just purchased a new 2021 Ridgeline to replace it. So far, so good.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts