Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a 2001 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 new. Owned it until July 2019. I put 385,000 miles on that until it blew a head gasket. I guess you could say I got my money’s worth owning it for 18 1/2 years. It still looked good when I sold it (garaged all its life) and the buyer replaced the engine.
I always thought the Ridgelines were cool looking and purchased my 2008 in April 2019. The 2008 was an upgrade to me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris
I made a monumental leap, going from my 1986 4Runner to a 2019 RTL-T. Took a little getting used to all the new-fangled technology, but the comfort, ride, mpg, adaptability, and I could go for a while, made this a perfect choice for me. Smooth on roads and does well in snow, especially with it's new Blizzaks. Have had the vehicle 6 months and love it. Bye the way, I double-checked to be sure, but I am not a "gent."😱 Be careful with assumptions. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,129 Posts
First truck we had was a 90's era Tacoma (can't even remember the exact year). The only good thing I can say about it was that it was relatively reliable (had the leaf springs break on it more than once). I hated that 4 cylinder truck, it was positively awful to drive. We eventually replace that with a '04 Tundra. The Tundra was a much better truck, but it still didn't drive very well. Just too big and "wallowy". On the plus side, it was well built, more powerful, and it took everything we threw at it in stride.

Purchased my first Ridgeline (2007) by accident. I was looking for a used "beater" hunting truck (the Tundra was gone) and the RL was not even on my radar. I was looking for an old Taco or Frontier, but the used examples I tested, drove and handled like s***. Happened by a Ridgeline at a local mom & pop used car lot and I took it for a test drive on a whim. It was a revelation! It did all the truck stuff I needed AND it actually drove and handled nicely. Had it as a second vehicle for years. Great in snow, tows great, and it was a beast off-road in fields and on hunting trails. The stupid in bed trunk is the best truck invention ever!!! I can't believe no other manufacturer has attempted to replicate it in some way (yes I know their frames make it difficult). It holds groceries, tons of luggage, or even a dressed buck on ice. Most of my hunting buddies scoffed at it until they rode in it. Riding in it generally shuts them up. I also know they all expected to have to tow me out of a field at some point. Never happened.....lol.

Just purchased a new 2021 Ridgeline to replace it. So far, so good.

View attachment 411164
Man, the silver with the black wheels looks incredible. I've had my 07 RTL for 11 years (tomorrow, actually). I know I'll need to replace it in the next 2-3 years or so. I love the 20/21 Tundra for the space it provides, but it's HUGE. I don't know if the 21+ RL is going to provide the interior space we need as a large family - large as in tall and above average sized children. But, it's at the top of my list right now.

Reactions: Ray S

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
64 Posts
Gents,
Good morning, well I’m looking at the RL now since I’m going back to a mid sized truck for daily driving. I’ve narrowed it down to 2. The RL and the Colorado ZR1 or ZR2. If I went the Gm route I would go with the baby Dmax. I like the RL and looking to test drive later this month. That being said I’m coming from owning an GM full sized HD truck... so a big change for me.. what truck did u guys have prior and are u happy about your decision. I’m thinking this may have been asked before.. if so forgive me. Thanks for all replies!
Kris
You didn't say how you plan to use your truck, so hard to guess. But my BF who purchased his ZR1 at the same time I did my RTL, and paid 5K more and his resale is garbage, doesn't have the options, comfort or gas mileage I do has said he regrets the decision every day. Oh, and his has been down 3 times for repairs and my only return for my RL has been the harness bulletin. And oil changes. If I was looking at anything else, as to what is offered right now for sale, I would go back to full size and buy a Ram. Wouldn't own a GM or Ford again ever. Constant repairs and no resale.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gents,
Kris
Went from a 1999 Dodge Dakota (5.2L V8, manual 5 speed, purchased brand new) to the Honda Ridgeline. I was contemplating the Colorado DMax too, along with the Tacoma V6 w/ a manual transmission. When I built out the other two, the cost just did not make sense at the time, though I really wanted a diesel and/or a manual transmission. I was lucky in that I purchased a brand new 2017 RL base model with AWD (only year that was offered) for $28.5K, so I did not have to level up to the Sport model for another $4K or more.... If the Colorado DMax came with a manual transmission, it would've swayed me probably. Love my RL so far. 43K miles, good gas mileage, AWD gets me where I need to go in NM, and the utility is fantastic. I keep my vehicles in tip top, so I expect this thing to go at least 200K miles before I am in the market again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2014 Tacoma. Great basic truck even though it was a pretty well equipped TRD Sport it was still a basic truck. Was a 2nd vehicle, rarely used but handy. Had a re-think and turned my car and truck into one vehicle. Honestly the Ranger was my first choice and I had a deposit on a loaded Lariat... until I found out there was no “auto” setting for the 4wd transfer case. The Taco did not either but my primary car was an Audi so the AWD Ridgeline made sense, and with the RTL-E I think I gained more than I lost over the Audi in similar features!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2020 BE RL replaced a 2000 Silverado that was used strictly for hauling toys and camping, and an 09 Accord that I used for everything else. All the additional costs of owning two vehicles because I didn't think there was anything that could do the job of both. Look back now that I own an RL and shake my head.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Really neat stories of what vehicles were owned prior. Thanks for so much info. I’m still in the thought process... I agree and think that the RL is a much better vehicle than the current gm offerings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really neat stories of what vehicles were owned prior. Thanks for so much info. I’m still in the thought process... I agree and think that the RL is a much better vehicle than the current gm offerings.
Driven GM for decades and was torn as well but no regrets going with the Honda. Aside from the obvious advantages in daily life and on pavement, today we took the RL up a steep potted and washboarded logging road to do some target shooting and the suspension never ceases to amaze me.

I'm sure it's a combination of alot of technical things but as a layman I have to go with the most obviois and that's the extremely low unsprung weight compared to other pickups. With my Silverado it was a crawl until I could achieve lift off from the axles bouncing rapidly over the washboard. Dont miss that and so far I don't miss a solid axle at all but will concede I wouldn't take any 50g vehicle I own on extreme terrain. So for my needs the RL is capable enough off road and even excells over my thirsty old 1/2 ton.The fact that the box is large enough for my quad, something other midsized and crew cab short boxes cant say, sealed the decision for me. The bonus is my attractive friend thinks the RL is sexy.

Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL-T
144 Posts
Driven GM for decades and was torn as well but no regrets going with the Honda. Aside from the obvious advantages in daily life and on pavement, today we took the RL up a steep potted and washboarded logging road to do some target shooting and the suspension never ceases to amaze me.

I'm sure it's a combination of alot of technical things but as a layman I have to go with the most obviois and that's the extremely low unsprung weight compared to other pickups. With my Silverado it was a crawl until I could achieve lift off from the axles bouncing rapidly over the washboard. Dont miss that and so far I don't miss a solid axle at all but will concede I wouldn't take any 50g vehicle I own on extreme terrain. So for my needs the RL is capable enough off road and even excells over my thirsty old 1/2 ton.The fact that the box is large enough for my quad, something other midsized and crew cab short boxes cant say, sealed the decision for me. The bonus is my attractive friend thinks the RL is sexy.

Good luck with your decision.
Nice grouping. (y)

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
I made a monumental leap, going from my 1986 4Runner to a 2019 RTL-T. Took a little getting used to all the new-fangled technology, but the comfort, ride, mpg, adaptability, and I could go for a while, made this a perfect choice for me. Smooth on roads and does well in snow, especially with it's new Blizzaks. Have had the vehicle 6 months and love it. Bye the way, I double-checked to be sure, but I am not a "gent."😱 Be careful with assumptions. Good luck with your decision!
@Carrie Adams Hell yea! I love 4runners and have had one for over 21 years! Great trucks. The question is, do you still have it? I'm sure you know the value on the older 4Runners has really risen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Carrie Adams Hell yea! I love 4runners and have had one for over 21 years! Great trucks. The question is, do you still have it? I'm sure you know the value on the older 4Runners has really risen.
I had to sell her, but did get an almost embarrassing amount to put toward a new vehicle. I considered getting another 4runner, but I'm happy with my choice. I do miss the old girl though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents,
Kris
The first new vehicle I owned was '82 Accord. Loving the Honda reliability I bought the first production year Acura Legend in 1986, She saw 220k miles and like all Hondas was absolutely fun to drive. My move to Colorado required a 4x4, The '92 Nissan Pathfinder SE was a wonderful work horse that climbed a 7400 ft hill 2-3 times a day in every weather imaginable for 13 years. The Ex took that in the settlement, I was in the market for a full size truck ...until a friend lent me her '07 Ridgeline. I looked no further. My '06 RTL gave me a wonderful 325k mile life until totaled in a Colorado hail storm, She would have easily seen 400k+ I miss her & think about her often. I picked up another G1 RTL at auction that had been "totaled" in a rear end collision. The hitch must have taken the brunt of the impact because other than the bed being tweaked less than a quarter inch it drives wonderfully with no unusual tire wear. I can't get over how versatile these Rigi's are. I have found them to be perfect vehicles for Colorado mountain living. GL in your decision,

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,129 Posts
The first new vehicle I owned was '82 Accord. Loving the Honda reliability I bought the first production year Acura Legend in 1986, She saw 220k miles and like all Hondas was absolutely fun to drive. My move to Colorado required a 4x4, The '92 Nissan Pathfinder SE was a wonderful work horse that climbed a 7400 ft hill 2-3 times a day in every weather imaginable for 13 years. The Ex took that in the settlement, I was in the market for a full size truck ...until a friend lent me her '07 Ridgeline. I looked no further. My '06 RTL gave me a wonderful 325k mile life until totaled in a Colorado hail storm, She would have easily seen 400k+ I miss her & think about her often. I picked up another G1 RTL at auction that had been "totaled" in a rear end collision. The hitch must have taken the brunt of the impact because other than the bed being tweaked less than a quarter inch it drives wonderfully with no unusual tire wear. I can't get over how versatile these Rigi's are. I have found them to be perfect vehicles for Colorado mountain living. GL in your decision,
Phenomenal first post and welcome to the ROC!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
We have a 2016 Lexus GX460 (bought used for reasonable amount) that I consider a "fancy 4Runner". Was disappointed that they weren't putting V8s in 4Runners anymore, but the GX is built like a brick ****house too, with full-time 4wd. It's a little bit bougee, as my kids would say, but also a tough horse IMO. Happy to have Toyota quality in our SUV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I traded in my 2015 RAM 2500 (3/4 ton) pickup. The reason I drove this truck was we had a fifthwheel RV, which we decided to sell, so no longer needed this truck. I have to admit, it was a wonderful vehicle, no problems for the 5 1/2 years I owned it, but I probably don't have to tell you it was a terrible on bumps in the road, and worse was the gas mileage! I was lucky to average 14mpg by the onboard mpg gauge, and those are notoriously bad about being over optimistic, so probably more around 13 mpg actual - btw towing the RV, we were luck to get 9 mpg! Prior to the 2500, I had a RAM 1500 for 3 1/2 years, and before that I drove a Nissan Frontier. Out of those three trucks over the past 15 years, I never paid for one repair, just the standard maintenance and replacement of consumables, like tires, wiper blades, oil, etc.

So currently, I have high expectations for my '21 RTL-E regarding repairs. I expect and hope for at least 6 years of trouble free operation from this truck.

Already in 3 weeks, the highest gas fill-up has been about 16 gallons, so it's already saved me money from the RAM which would often take 26+ gallons. Comfort of driving has been wonderful, which really was my primary goal in buying a new vehicle. It's already surpassed my expectations there, and now we often take the RTL instead of my SO's SUV. It's already been used to haul drywall, so the full 4 foot bed has been nice, versus the other mid-size trucks which aren't able to allow a 4x sheet to lay flat in the bed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have had Ford Rangers of all sorts,Regular cab,extended and the Sport Trac,2WD and $X4,Manual and Auto. Last one was a 2WD extended 2010 4.0L,Auto. Had 131K on it with hardly any problems since I purchased new. Really wanted to stay with the Ranger but after driving the new one when it came out,,a 4X4 and it rode like a lumber wagon ,I decided to check out the Ridge.Happy that I did. Bought a left over 2018 RTLE with everything I wanted that was unavailable with the Ranger.V-6 verus the damn 2.3,got leather,moon roof,power rear window ect,none of these were offered at the time on the Ford. My son bought a new Ranger last year and hates it,poor milage,30K and needed 4 new tires.According to him a POS
I traded my 2019 XLT Ranger to get a new 2020 Sport. Sure, I lost some features, but holy hell, I do not understand how I tolerated the bumpy ride quality of the Ranger. The Ridgeline maneuverability and ride quality is far and away superior to the Ranger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2014 GMC Sierra SLE, now I have a 17 Ridgeline. Here is a list of things that my Sierra had/did that my Ridgeline doesn't have/do for my needs

Sierra had a longer bed
Sierra had a volume knob
Sierra had a rear step bumper so it was easier to get in and out of.

Everything else my ridgeline does as good or better for what I need. I don't know if I'll ever go back

141 - 160 of 186 Posts