Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

We've been producing a mat for the Honda for about 2 years now and have had great success with our Elemmat Honda Element Cargo Mat, Recently I have fallen in love with the Ridgeline and have been following comments on the bed of the Ridgeline... dime size chips, white scuffs, and other concerns....

We are a Rubber house and not only do we carry sheet rubber and matting, but also Conveyor belt... which due to the deep ridges on the Ridgeline's bed, I wasn't sure if I could come up with a mat that would work good in it without falling and waivering in the bed... the material we use for the Element mat works great because the E has flat surface - so we came up with the idea of using a great pattern conveyor belt... the snag on that was that it wasn't so easy to cut becuase of the reinforcement and the thickness of the material... and it is also approx 55" wide and the material we were using for the Element was 48" wide.

Since the width on the Z top belt is 72", that made it possible to cover the entire bed from side to side front to back- and becuase of the 2 ply reinforcement and the thickness of the belt, it gives it the support needed to lay in the bed perfectly. With cutting, instead of cutting by hand, we have brought in Dies to cut the sides perfectly and precisely each and every time. All a time consuming and a laborious process, but the end result is a mat that works, and works well!

Additionally, this Ridgeline Bed Mat ships with a Tailgate protector too. This means that your bed will remain new looking the life of the Truck and help with the resale, and personal pride on an exquisite truck.

Please check it out on our site: www.elemmat.com or use the direct link to the Ridgeline Z top mat at: https://2694224993.monstercommercesites.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=16

Thanks and safe driving!
Tony

·
Registered
13 Posts
This looks great! How heavy is it? Can you leave it on and still open the trunk lid, or does it have to be rolled back to keep the trunk lid open?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Tony, it looks like a great, super product. I'm sure it will outlast even the truck itself. But quite frankly, at that price, one would have to do a lot of real heavy payloading to make it worthwhile. The guy who just wants to protect the bed from scratches doing now and then light hauling is not going to pay that much for a rubber mat. I just throw an old comforter in the back whenever I have to haul anything and that works fine for my needs. Your product, good as it is, is geared to the construction worker/farmer type - or the wealthy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cargo Floor Mat - Customized !

bjave (Tony) ... Beautiful job and excellent fit to the RL cargo floor :cool:.
However, at $249 it is hard to justify. Maybe if it also protected the side/cabin walls the price would be more palatable. Will the tailgate mat be attached with industrial strength velcro?

Can the trunk be opened and stay open without rolling the mat off?
You state that the mat underside is smooth. Will water between the mat & floor easily clear/dry with the mat in place? Does your mat grip the cargo floor to prevent movement?
How did you solve the problem with the deep ridges in the bed?

I find that my $44 ProTecta SkidGard mat with Lifetime warranty does suffer from the "falling & waivering" into the bed floor ridges you mention. This condition makes the mat slip and move on the bed floor when I walk on it ... a hazard :(.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great product. looks great.

But like other's have said, $249 is just too high for me to want to buy this. I would buy it at say $70-$100 range, but for $249, I'll cut my own rubber mats.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Price is way to high! I bought an old ford mat 3/8 thick, cut it to fit my ridge and paid $30.00 for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
shingles said:
Great product. looks great.

But like other's have said, $249 is just too high for me to want to buy this. I would buy it at say $70-$100 range, but for $249, I'll cut my own rubber mats.
The weight... it's about 35-40 lbs for both combined so it has some weight to it...

I Fully understand that it's got a chunk of change to it... I am working with our vendor to get the pricing down on the material... My problem is that it's not straight sheet rubber but reinforced conveyor belt and it's a little labor intensive... Plus the tooling in the beinnging of this project is going to be a little high... In the future, I may find other vendors with a similar product for less, but I really like the tire pattern zig zag...

How would it be if I only made available only the bed mat, and the tailgate mat sold separately? The tailgate mat is additional footage, labor, and would bring the price down on just the bed liner?

Any help on this is much appreciated :)

Can the trunk be opened and stay open without rolling the mat off?

*Yes*, it does make it so that it' won't stay open without holding the lid up... but the mat just gives the flexibility needed to open the lid... pictures attached.

You state that the mat underside is smooth. Will water between the mat & floor easily clear/dry with the mat in place? Does your mat grip the cargo floor to prevent movement?

*Yes* it stays in place becuase it is cut to the exact dimensions and it is heavy material so there's no way it's blowing out. I would think it would trap a little moisture underneath - but there is about a 1/8" gap around the entire mat that would let it breath.

I had to get around the deep ridges by using a heavier reinforced conveyor belt, which helps it lay flat on top of the ridges..

How did you solve the problem with the deep ridges in the bed?

I'm working on everything and your input is going to help me on the direction of this product....

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I find that the ProTecta SkidGard mat is also stiff and also lays flat on top of the bed ridges. This condition makes the mat slip/move on the bed floor when I walk on it as the mat buckels and walks ... a hazard.

What does your mat look like (buckeling) when you stand at various locations in the valleys of the bed ridges?

Based on the going market for truck mats the price for your product without the tailgate piece should be no more than $100.

Is the material tear resistent?
The inside corner cuts appear sharp (no radius) with no reinforcement.
Is the material puncture resistent?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree with everyone else. This is a great looking mat that is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! I cut mine to size and paid $55 shipping included. While it may not be as customized, it does the job at a fraction of the price. You need to sharpen your pencil and give us a more realistic price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JimVickers said:
What does your mat look like (buckeling) when you stand at various locations in the valleys of the bed ridges?

although it will give a little, because of the material, it doesn't seem to pose a trip hazzard... and this is in direct summer sun so it's at it's most pliable.

Is the material tear resistent?

because of the 2 ply reinforcement, it is super durable and I can't imagine how you would tear it.

The inside corner cuts appear sharp (no radius) with no reinforcement.

The mats has rounded corners and has a die cut finished look to it :)

Is the material puncture resistent?
Very, being conveyorbelt, the specs are:

Working Tension 150 lbs per inch width
Spun Poly Fabric Type
Mini Z Pattern
.245 in thick overall gauge
Bottom coefficient of friction .25 approx
Minimum Pully Diameter 4.0 inch
2% elongation
Working Temperature -30 to 190 degrees F

I need to stress that this is not apples to apples on molded plastic or rubber liners... this is one of the most durable products you can buy to put in the bed of your Ridgeline.

Note that on the temperature... the mat is designed to be used in a conveyor application which means it has to go around pulleys... so this will remain flexible enough to go around a 4" pulley at -30 degrees... while it's laying in the bed of your Truck- not that I don't like to think of really cold temperatures... the mat in our application as a bed liner will go way above and way below these numbers.

We've already sold 2 of them so I'm sure that in a couple weeks there will be unbias reviews of this Ridgeline Bed Mat.

Thanks!
Tony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well I just ordered my Z Bed Mat..I will update..Although it is a little pricey..But so is the truck..You get what you pay for..Will update..Still undecided on the bed cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AMLEO said:
Well I just ordered my Z Bed Mat..I will update..Although it is a little pricey..But so is the truck..You get what you pay for..Will update..Still undecided on the bed cover.
If you decide to put the cover on the truck, it may (since it is a little wider that the trunk lid) interfer with the rails of the tonneau cover somewhat when opening. It is easier for me to let the mat roll up a little before opening the trunk.

Honda Guy

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Truck Customizers

I bought the one that was 49.25" (no longer in stock) but this one that's 49" should be fine too (bed is 49.5"). And, with excess trim, you can cover your tailgate with it. I paid $58 with shipping, and I think the price has gone down since.

It is very thick and you will have to roll it back to open the trunk (if you want it to say open without holding it).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bjave:

For what it's worth, I wanted to thank you for posting your product here. Regardless of cost, I think you have a quality product and it's yet one more option for all us Ridgline owners to consider. Thanks and keep the products coming

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O.k. All :)

We've gotten the dies, created the mats, and I think (hope) everyone will be suprised by the 'offerings'...

I've gotten quite a few phone calls recently (thank you) about comments, suggestions, etc... including the fact that we should only offer the mat stand alone, and not provide it only as a complete set. I took it to heart, which, although I would want to be completely covered if it were my Truck, I am told that there are people that are only going to be using the tailgate in a right to left fashion and never use the tailgate part. (Which by the way, having the tailgate work in both directions was genious)

So I am offering the complete set and then also each item individually. As I learn more and more about the Ridgeline - I'm am totally amazed. I thought that having a trunk liner would be a great addition and come to find out that Honda does make a carpet inlay for the trunk. Very cool. I almost didn't offer the trunk liners and then found out that it was only a one piece, not a two piece liner for the trunk, and also, if you use the Ridgeline like a truck, the carpet is sure to get dirty, where as with the rubber steel liners we provide - it's an easy clean up. The trunk liner also works with the trunk dividers that are available from Honda.

We went though a couple revisions already to get the final mat, which thanks to Tom Kettlewell - he's recommended, and I agree - that the front of the mat near the cab area would work best with 'eye holes' to hook around the anchor die downs built into the bed.

We're shipping this week and they look fantastic. I'm not sure if it's the truck that makes the mats look great or the other way around. I invite you to check out all the new pictures and descriptions of the products for the Ridgeline.

Thank you!
Tony

quick easy link to the Ridgeline section of our site:
http://murdockindustrial.com/elemmat/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=30ac34d9ff7c9cdd9dd64594928e75a7

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Nice job!

Question on the tailgate mat - is it designed so that it has to be installed / removed each time you open or close the gate? It looks like it overlaps the top and sides of the gate by a couple of inches.
If so, do you intend to offer something that will stay in place when the tailgate is operated? I understand that would be tricky given the contours in the moulding and the weight of the product, but just wondered if you had any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lingered_I said:
Nice job!

Question on the tailgate mat - is it designed so that it has to be installed / removed each time you open or close the gate? It looks like it overlaps the top and sides of the gate by a couple of inches.
If so, do you intend to offer something that will stay in place when the tailgate is operated? I understand that would be tricky given the contours in the moulding and the weight of the product, but just wondered if you had any ideas. Thanks.
Great question, was thinking the same thing myself

1 - 20 of 56 Posts