Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
@lanejustin good for you! Did your order the harness too? If not, better get one on order now. @RTLZ is the expert — just let us know if you have any questions — he has the C2 and I have the C3. Cheers…
I did get the harness, thanks for the heads up! I also ordered the pedal and the splitter for the pedal. I figure worst case scenario I can try to resell the pedal if I decide I dislike Comma in general (but from what I'm reading, that's unlikely)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Comma 2 or 3 will work out of the box, but you DO have to purchase the Ridgeline specific harness to connect the C2/3 to the truck (it goes under the rearview mirror cover with USB C cable that comes from under the cover and connects to the Comm

I do not have the Pedal. From what I understand, the Pedal provides slow-and-go (or better slow-and-go) than the OEM system provides. The truck will NOT provide true stop-and-go driving because of the limitations of the Ridgeline itself. The low speed and steering limits are provided in the Table on the Comma.ai website — here:

View attachment 421317

Maybe I misunderstood but @RTLZ said it provides true stop and go with the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
223 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood but @RTLZ said it provides true stop and go with the pedal.
Perhaps @RTLZ will comment about it?

Can you send me a link to where you found your Pedal?

I added a link to my previous post (#20 above) that describes the Pedal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I’m up shizz creek. I totally misunderstood this thing. I ordered the pedal (the black box that goes on the pedal). But I have nothing else. Where to go from here? Or does someone want to buy my pedal box?

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
223 Posts
Well, I’m up shizz creek. I totally misunderstood this thing. I ordered the pedal (the black box that goes on the pedal). But I have nothing else. Where to go from here? Or does someone want to buy my pedal box?
Um… What did your order? Do you have a link to it or a photo? Did you just order a ‘box’ (no electronics)? Since I don’t own one (a Pedal), I’ve never seen one or even know how or exactly where to connects? I’m in the dark here too.

@lanejustin What did you buy?

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is what I purchased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is what I purchased.

So yeah, that's JUST the pedal. You will also need the actual Comma device, Honda harness, and to use the pedal, you'll need the splitter that the same guy sells.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
223 Posts
So yeah, that's JUST the pedal. You will also need the actual Comma device, Honda harness, and to use the pedal, you'll need the splitter that the same guy sells.
Well… I ordered one (a Pedal)… I’ll let you know what happens…

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, this is seeming to be above my skill set. When my pedal arrives (it's in transit now), I'll sell it for $125 shipped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought (at least for now), the C2 and C3 were equals until Openpilot (the software) starts taking advantage of the C3’s hardware advances?

I hope you get it figured-out so you can walk me through the Pedal (when they’re available).

Sorry ROC members who may not know what we’re talking about! You can see the Comma hardware by visiting their site: comma – introducing comma three

If you’re interested, you can find plenty of YouTube videos too.

Cheers
Interesting system. I looked at the link and if I read it right, this add on system works with open source software to enhance the cars LKAS and ACC systems. But it begs the question, what happens if the truck is involved in an accident where the vehicle had these systems engaged?

I know it always falls back on the driver to maintain control of the vehicle, but I wonder if it wouldn't open up the owner to additional liability or give the insurance company a potential reason to limit or deny coverage since this is a modification of active safety systems.

You are adding aftermarket hardware running on open source software when the existing systems at least have been certified by Honda and probably passed some sort of govt mandated testing. I don't take issue with folks wanting to mod their rides, but anything that affects existing safety systems should be carefully considered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got my Comma today and did a few miles testing it out. So far so good. It turns SO much better than the stock Ridgeline. I can't wait for my Pedal to get here as well. I still need to run the cables in the morning (in the light), but it's all hooked up for now.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
223 Posts
Got my Comma today and did a few miles testing it out. So far so good. It turns SO much better than the stock Ridgeline. I can't wait for my Pedal to get here as well. I still need to run the cables in the morning (in the light), but it's all hooked up for now.
Good to hear, let us know how it goes. Remember, you are in charge and always have to be ready to takeover in any situation; like if it (the Ridgeline) can’t make an upcoming curve, my Comma lets me know if the Ridgeline needs help. But you are correct and I’ve noticed the same thing, the difference between the Ridgeline with the Comma and the Ridgelines’ stock LKAS (without the Comma) is like night and day and so much better. In addition, the 3 additional cameras the Comma brings to the system can only make it safer — not the other way around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good to hear, let us know how it goes. Remember, you are in charge and always have to be ready to takeover in any situation; like if it (the Ridgeline) can’t make an upcoming curve, my Comma lets me know if the Ridgeline needs help. But you are correct and I’ve noticed the same thing, the difference between the Ridgeline with the Comma and the Ridgelines’ stock LKAS (without the Comma) is like night and day and so much better. In addition, the 3 additional cameras the Comma brings to the system can only make it safer — not the other way around.
Definitely noticed when it told me to take control. That alone is also much better than the Ridgeline's stock setup. Now, did you go straight to the 3, or did you have the 2 before? I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to do the upgrade program they offer within 90 days.

I was looking back and noticed you had a dashcam as well. I'm assuming you don't pay for the connect feature anymore? Is there a way to pull footage except for using the Connect subscription?

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
223 Posts
Definitely noticed when it told me to take control. That alone is also much better than the Ridgeline's stock setup. Now, did you go straight to the 3, or did you have the 2 before? I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to do the upgrade program they offer within 90 days.

I was looking back and noticed you had a dashcam as well. I'm assuming you don't pay for the connect feature anymore? Is there a way to pull footage except for using the Connect subscription?
I have the C3. At some point they are going to stop updating the C2. From what I understand, The C3 has hardware capabilities beyond the C2 and beyond what Openpilot is using today. So I think the C3 will continue to be developed and that’s why I elected to go straight for the C3. From what I understand, as they stand today, they are relatively equal — so if you like your C2 during the 90-day upgrade period, you can decide if you want upgrade to the C3 for possible future updates.

I’ve been running the GoPro (as a Dashcam) for years. It’s no longer needed with the Comma, but old habits are hard to break. I also subscribe to Comma Prime while I evaluate it and will decide later if it brings value.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the C3. At some point they are going to stop updating the C2. From what I understand, The C3 has hardware capabilities beyond the C2 and beyond what Openpilot is using today. So I think the C3 will continue to be developed and that’s why I elected to go straight for the C3. From what I understand, as they stand today, they are relatively equal — so if you like your C2 during the 90-day upgrade period, you can decide if you want upgrade to the C3 for possible future updates.

I’ve been running the GoPro (as a Dashcam) for years. It’s no longer needed with the Comma, but old habits are hard to break. I also subscribe to Comma Prime while I evaluate it and will decide later if it brings value.
Finished installing this morning. Took another short drive (had to get some donuts LOL) and really thinking about upgrading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buy this now while it's in stock, it's needed on the RL:
1. Splitter for Comma Pedal | Etsy
And this when it comes back in stock, just asked the guy who makes it and says it'll be back in stock around christmas or right after:
2. Comma Pedal Toyota Honda GM VW Benz | Etsy

It DOES make it work down to zero and back up, you may want to run a custom fork (think of it as a modified OS for the Comma)..

That said, I'd buy a C2, the C3 really doesn't do anything more ontop of the C2.. or go super cheap and it all can be done for under 500 bucks using a china version.
Would you mind doing a run-down of the steps I need to take when my Pedal arrives this week?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Ridgeline is the weak point in the system — sometimes it’ll bitch at me while taking a curve. Sometimes I just let it go and it’ll make it without intervention. Other times (sharper curves or faster speeds), I may have to help a little (by helping it steer around the curve and then just letting-go of the steering wheel again) where it will center-the-lane and just keep-on going.
V2500,
Thanks for all this helpful info. One of your links parrots what you said. "Honda vehicles suffer from a low amount of steering torque that can be applied by openpilot." My question is there an significant improvement in steering torque when compared to the OEM ridgeline LKAS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it always falls back on the driver to maintain control of the vehicle, but I wonder if it wouldn't open up the owner to additional liability or give the insurance company a potential reason to limit or deny coverage since this is a modification of active safety systems.

You are adding aftermarket hardware running on open source software when the existing systems at least have been certified by Honda and probably passed some sort of govt mandated testing. I don't take issue with folks wanting to mod their rides, but anything that affects existing safety systems should be carefully considered.

The legal implications for installing any aftermarket system is complicated and is debated in many forums. One of the reasons that George Hotz went open source with his tech was to avoid being sued. It is also one of the reasons that Comma2/3 are not pre-installed with Openpilot. So its probably unlikely that Comma.ai will be held liable for any accident. Theoretically if used correctly, Comma should increase safety by adding an extra camera and keeping making sure that the driver is attentive. On the Comma.ai FAQ, this is what they say:

"Will my insurance cover my car with a comma device installed?

Contact your insurance provider directly; insurance coverage is between the user and their insurance provider. comma hardware users have been able to get coverage and discuss this on reddit here. Insurance companies are beginning to understand the safety benefits of ADAS and LKAS systems like openpilot and we have not heard of any providers rejecting coverage to comma hardware users."

https://commasupport.zendesk.com/hc...e-cover-my-car-with-a-comma-device-installed-

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfDrivingCars/comments/b13cdp

21 - 40 of 44 Posts