Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,148 Posts
This one is not mine and not safely loaded IMHO but still impressive on some level . . .
attachment-2.jpg

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Always looking to learn. I stumbled on those videos a few days earlier because I saw a contractor's F-150 with ladders resting on the cab and closed tailgate at an angle. He detached them so fast and I still can't figure out how he did it and while researching on the tube, came across those.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Easy way is to spend $60 and buy a bed extender - I use mine all the time for carrying lumber. Have tailgate down and strap lumber to front and rear bed tie-down points and to bed extender. Put the standard red flag on the end and you're good to go. Have carried 16 foot lengths this way without issue.

My Bed Extender

My Safety Flag
Yup, the best way to haul long lumber! I'ver had one for 25 years. I just hauled 300 bdft of 12' poplar.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
3 Posts
Hi all. Any suggestions on how to properly haul long lumber (2x8x12). I'll be buying 30 pieces of lumber and need to know if the tailgate should be flat or up? Also, I assume that the weight of this is not problem? Thanks
I hauled an almost exact load with great results: tailgate down; stack lumber tightly, cinch lumber down (may not really do anything but it gave me peace of mind); drive carefully so as not to cause lumber to shift. That’s it. I did strip the tailgate face with painters tape just in case a rock kicked up.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you turn the 2x12's up on edge that should help the flopping around at the outboard end and all 30 will fit into the bed without stacking. You'll still want to tie them into a bundle at both ends.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi all. Any suggestions on how to properly haul long lumber (2x8x12). I'll be buying 30 pieces of lumber and need to know if the tailgate should be flat or up? Also, I assume that the weight of this is not problem? Thanks
I agree with those that indicate you should put the tailgate down and use a red flag. In addition, you will need to use ratchet straps to secure the front part of the load so it stays down otherwise it kick up and slide out of the bed even if the back part is tied down. Remember, the bed is very short.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with those that indicate you should put the tailgate down and use a red flag. In addition, you will need to use ratchet straps to secure the front part of the load so it stays down otherwise it kick up and slide out of the bed even if the back part is tied down. Remember, the bed is very short.
I recently hauled 10 2x8x16 PT boards using a bed extender. The extender attaches to the trailer hitch and cost me $55 (less than the $79 delivery charge for the boards and reusable). The extender added a net 3 feet to the bed and tailgate and made the load more stable. I also tied the boards together by screwing a 2x4 to them close to the cab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a tow hitch extension that is about 5 ft. long and has an adjustable arm that goes straight up with a cross
bar on it about 3 ft. wide. It puts all the extended weight on the tow hitch, Harbor freight or one of those company
sells them. it takes all the weight off of the tail Gate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I often have hauled 16' trim pieces with the gate up and through the rear slide window with a bar clamp or two inside the cab and tied down from both sides at the rear. You have to tie down both sides at the rear so the load does not slide, using just one tie down the load can slide off the truck, ask me how I know. I would not be able to haul 20 pieces using the rear window, but can haul 10 1" x 6" trim pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should be able to fit about half of the boards through the rear sliding window. That can take 3 to 5 feet off the length extending from the bed. JUST KIDDING

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posted this quite a while ago. I have only used it a handful of times over all these years but each time it worked great! It is called a “ Hitch Hand”.
I still have my 2006 Ridgeline too!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have the Hitch-Hand. I usd it on my G1. When I want to haul my 17" canoe. Made up a bracket to hold two trailer lights, made long harness and run it back to the trailer plug. Also have a flag.

I also have a Cableas canoe hauler. Which puts a post straight up from the hitch. It has a swivel t-top. You put one end of the canoe or kayak on the tee, strap it down. i then then walk it to the roof rack. I have a 2 step stool which allows me to lift the canoe onto the roof rack.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Ridgeline Sport, Alabaster Silver Metallic.
1 Posts
If you can afford it, you want to look into a bed extender that fits into the hitch receiver. Most of them have tie down points on them to secure the load. I have a friend that just used one to haul 16’ pieces with a Nissan Titan. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd lay it flat with tailgate down. Securing it so it doesn't slide around. And put a red flag on the end for other people to see and cover you if you have a state law requiring it. I think that laying it on top of the gate is just asking for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Anything past 2 feet of the rear bumper is illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you can afford it, you want to look into a bed extender that fits into the hitch receiver. Most of them have tie down points on them to secure the load. I have a friend that just used one to haul 16’ pieces with a Nissan Titan. Good luck.
Are you kidding? That would be useless with the tailgate up or down. And as I stated before, anything that is more than 2 feet past the rear bumper is illegal. Also, if you block the view of the license plate, that is also illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a trailer. Anything that is more than 2 feet past the rear bumper is illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have hauled long pieces of material and one thing you need to think about is placing weight on the lumber in the bed to keep from it bouncing up while driving. You can use cement blocks as the weight material just under the back window. Measuring my 2018 bed to the end of tailgate is 7' and you will have 5' sticking out, plus the truck will be lower in the back from the weight.

MLogan
2018 RTL-T
Smyrna, TN
Are you kidding? That would be useless with the tailgate up or down. And as I stated before, anything that is more than 2 feet past the rear bumper is illegal. Also, if you block the view of the license plate, that is also illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Found these helpful

Not helpful. As I stated before, anything that is more than 2 feet past the rear bumper is illegal. Also, if you block the view of the license plate, that is also illegal. Red flags are not a pass. Ask any DOT police officer. Anything outside of legal limits requires a permit. It doesn't matter if it is a POV or commercial vehicle. The law applies to ALL vehicles on public roads.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Allow me to give you more information seeing how there are way too many people giving you bad advice.
As I stated before, anything that is more than 2 feet past the rear bumper is illegal. Also, if you block the view of the license plate, that is also illegal. Red flags are not a pass. Ask any DOT police officer. Anything outside of legal limits requires a permit. It doesn't matter if it is a POV or commercial vehicle. The law applies to ALL vehicles on public roads.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts