Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

821 - 840 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Funny story, my 14 yr old daughter was unloading stuff out of the back seat of my Ridgeline and started complaining that the door wouldn’t open far enough. How is it my kid can figure out that there was something wrong with the back door opening, but the Honda engineers couldn’t? I told her about this thread and the fix for it. I have the parts to do it, just waiting on warner day to do it, so I don’t crack any cold plastic.

Reactions: ChrisDaw

·
Registered
407 Posts
...latter.

Other makers update their vehicles regularly. Honda is too arrogant to update their "perfect design".

·
Registered
46 Posts
^^^Nor has Honda adopted the fix after three model years of complaints from owners and auto reviewers. Gotta wonder why not -- they either have a real reason for limiting the rear door swing or they just don't care.
Some people have suggested it's because it's shorter people that ride in the back seat and it's a longer reach to close the doors after the modification. As a 6 foot tall guy I can say it doesn't seem to be a problem to me buy my wifes aunt accused me of having a 'bar room reach' one time so I may not be the best one to say. With the modification done the door IS a bit further out there but I don't have any kids around to test if it's a problem. I LOVE the wider opening though, it's much easier to get things in and out!!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts
Some people have suggested it's because it's shorter people that ride in the back seat and it's a longer reach to close the doors after the modification. As a 6 foot tall guy I can say it doesn't seem to be a problem to me buy my wifes aunt accused me of having a 'bar room reach' one time so I may not be the best one to say. With the modification done the door IS a bit further out there but I don't have any kids around to test if it's a problem. I LOVE the wider opening though, it's much easier to get things in and out!!
But you don’t have to open it all the just because you can. If you are short with short arms, just open it to the first notch so you can close it easily. With the longer door checks, you have a choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, the temp was in the low 50's, warm enough to change out the rear door stops. 30 minutes start to finish, including taking the tools out and putting them away. What an amazing difference! I just don't understand why Honda did this and won't change it. I can't wait to next weekend when I can show the difference to my daughter, since she had complained about it before. Many thanks to those that figured this out, I am very happy they did!

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
^^^Nor has Honda adopted the fix after three model years of complaints from owners and auto reviewers. Gotta wonder why not -- they either have a real reason for limiting the rear door swing or they just don't care.
I think it’s configuration unity. Doing anything to correct this now could imply Honda liability to fix what isn’t really a defect on previous produced vehicles. This is more of a product improvement, low priority and agreeably innovative use of existing parts. Still would cost Honda money, for convenience, lose weight engineers might say? Perhaps best left as user installed upgrade to preserve corporate bliss? I see no NTSB complaints about having to use a plunger to cram overweight mother-in-law into second row thresholds. To bring about change we need docs peeps!

Another maybe more amusing latent reason is fat front seaters get slightly less entry room post mod if rear door is fully opened too. The angles change from parallel between rows to narrower entry to front door. It’s just a couple inches and few probably simultaneously get in or out and would even notice. A birds eye overhead view goes to pinched look to front row. Somebody posted (or YouTube has) real accurate numbers. It’s rainy and street light is weak but front door is about 41.5” long, rear 34.5”. Before mod the parallel outer edge gap space F—>R is around 41.5” (we all know checker mod adds about 5” R—>pillar) rear door opening.
If I didn’t lose you, now front and rear doors open fully around 38” space (est. again, dark/raining/PJs on) and rear door opening wider doesn’t get in my way as I’m not starring in My 800 Lb. Life.

The door mod does add about 1/2 ounce.. onboard MPG sensors will not correct for this, no software change anticipated.

Speaking of MPG (I know, off topic, boring anyway?), Wally-world in NW FL now carries non-Ethanol 89 octane ($2.79) and my first near empty fill up seems run just as well as the premium ($3.09). Now I can waste less money and pollute slightly more while getting no perceptible performance gain from how do common folks say it...’reglar gass’ ($2.29)? ��

Happy New Year Evree-1!

FYI - This marks The anniversary of my grandfather dying peacefully in his sleep...

Unfortunately the other three people in the car he was driving were fully awake when they all went off the bridge. (J/K)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did my swap out yesterday. Trying to sort through hubby's box of tools and finding the correct sockets took longer than the modification. Had a little difficulty getting the little panel behind the door latch off one side and one of the christmas trees wouldn't release so I got a tiny crack in that door panel. Used a runner's headlight because of doing this on a rainy day in the garage. Less than $30 for new door stops and the trim kit from Harbor Freight. Thanks everyone. Now onto the tailgate lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No one ever rides in the back of my Ridgeline, so I took the Rear Door Modification a little farther. Bottom section of the door panel including the window switch and speaker removed. Skinned the bottom section of the door with kydex and push type retaining clips. If the deleted speaker bugs me I could make some grills to protect them and reinstall the factory speakers or mount a set of aftermarket inside the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts
No one ever rides in the back of my Ridgeline, so I took the Rear Door Modification a little farther. Bottom section of the door panel including the window switch and speaker removed. Skinned the bottom section of the door with kydex and push type retaining clips. If the deleted speaker bugs me I could make some grills to protect them and reinstall the factory speakers or mount a set of aftermarket inside the door.
That’s interesting and very functional. It would be better for pets and cargo although it could still be used by a passenger. It would not work for me, but I do like it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Do get the advantage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adding my 2¢ to this long running thread.

2019 RTL-T

I did the mod last week. It took me 75 minutes to do the work once I put wrench to metal. I probably spent another 15 minutes getting my tool mise en place prepared. I only used hand operated tools. For anyone planning on doing this I'd suggest you set aside an uninterrupted 2 hours for the project.

I highly recommend watching both of the linked videos below several times before attempting the work and having them available on a tablet or phone when you actually start working. The videos compliment each other as they each have info that the other does not have and one may correct errors in the other. Any of the other illustrated step-by-step instructions in this thread are also helpful.

The only problems I had were unclipping the speaker cable clips (tough on the fingertips - a minor annoyance) and getting the door panels re-seated properly. One side clicked into place easily but the other side took a while with lots of wiggling around to hit the right spot at the correct angle. Once I hit it just right it slipped into place perfectly. I just needed to be patient with it. Neither of these issues could really be seen as a 'problem'. Pulling the door panels off was a bit unnerving but I got though it

I'm not at all a 'car guy' or a Mr. Fixit but this was a fun and satisfying project. Nothing difficult about it at all. Just give yourself time, be patient and proceed carefully.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Adding my 2¢ to this long running thread.

2019 RTL-T

I did the mod last week. It took me 75 minutes to do the work once I put wrench to metal. I probably spent another 15 minutes getting my tool mise en place prepared. I only used hand operated tools. For anyone planning on doing this I'd suggest you set aside an uninterrupted 2 hours for the project.
Two hours?! I presume this includes driving to and from the dealership to buy the parts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered a set of these door stops for my 2018 Black Edition and a set for my buddies 2017 Black Edition. There was a video on Youtube about this installation. Straightforward it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-7ckh819o

·
Registered
965 Posts
Two hours?! I presume this includes driving to and from the dealership to buy the parts!
Agreed - I won't judge as I do a lot of mechanical work...including water pumps, etc...but just for accuracy most DIYers will find it is about 15-20 mins per door once tools are in place and if you are working slowly and carefully. I think I looked when I did it and total time was 35 mins (but my tools are highly organized).

I used a bucket for the door panel and speaker to sit on. From a results/cost of parts/time/labor/feeling of satisfaction, probably in the Top 3 automotive projects I've done...

821 - 840 of 1466 Posts