Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Re: 1st Oil Change Synthetic Not Used??

It’s known as technology and progress. Not to be confused with disinformation put out by the oil companies.

Must have been in a different branch of the military. Not the way we did it in Vietnam on the aircraft carrier. I'm sensing a different generation here.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts

Different animal, and you are correct, those need different care procedures and intervals. I was thinking more of turbine engines, and diesels.

It's why some of us are still preserved to fly the old round engines. Yes, technology marches on but I'll still see the oil changed every 50 hours.

·
Registered
220 Posts

It says on the invoice they used qty5 of a part# 127075 description 0W20. Wonder if that 127075 is the Honda part number for their official oil.

So after being told on the phone (dealership) that the oil honda uses and what is recommended is a synthetic blend, I was told differently today in person at the same dealership.

They told me I must have talked to someone new because all new Honda’s get full synthetic. I asked how do I get a full synthetic change for $35. She advised that but in bulk and that’s what it cost. I asked if she was sure it wasn’t a synthetic blend and she advised no, as well a another service advisor. Both saying full synthetic. Whatever and who knows!?!?!?

The part number for the oil was the same as the one quoted above. Did we ever figure out what that part number is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts

The only way you'll ever know is to see the barrel that they pull it out of. It will say on there on the label applied by the manufacturer what it is. No service adviser knows anything other than what they put onto a form (which can say anything).

Steve

So after being told on the phone (dealership) that the oil honda uses and what is recommended is a synthetic blend, I was told differently today in person at the same dealership.

They told me I must have talked to someone new because all new Honda’s get full synthetic. I asked how do I get a full synthetic change for $35. She advised that but in bulk and that’s what it cost. I asked if she was sure it wasn’t a synthetic blend and she advised no, as well a another service advisor. Both saying full synthetic. Whatever and who knows!?!?!?

The part number for the oil was the same as the one quoted above. Did we ever figure out what that part number is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

Wow, so much stuff going on in just one thread!!!

1. Honda no longer has a synthetic blend. It's all synthetic now.

2. I don't know of a dealership that uses Honda-branded oil for oil changes.
Someone else mentioned it, maybe you, but there are two "full synthetic" oils in 0w-20 from Honda. Dealership I work at only uses the "Ultimate Full Synthetic" in 0w-20.

1. Oil changes have become loss leaders to get people into dealerships where they have the opportunity to upsell other services (tires, filters, brakes, batteries, fluids, etc.)...
Very true. Due to the tight margins on most cars and even smaller SUVs, dealerships can't survive on new sales alone, so they HAVE to form lasting service relationships with customers.

As a comparison, my local VW dealer charged me $100 for an oil change to my previous Passat. They also charge significantly more on other services than Honda dealer does.
OUCH!

It says on the invoice they used qty5 of a part# 127075 description 0W20. Wonder if that 127075 is the Honda part number for their official oil.
Not a Honda part number, as far as I can tell. Could be a partial number, but not likely. Maybe it's a job code/sku?

I talked with Honda today and they advised that Honda doesn’t have a full synthetic oil and Honda recommends their synthetic blend in all of their newer vehicles.
Already covered, but just to reinforce this. Honda actually has 2 full synthetic oils in 0w-20. As I understand it (could be wrong, can't find the link) the ultimate full syn is 100% PAO (group IV?) synthetic.

There are no "conventional" 0w-20 or 5w20 these are group 3 oils.

"synthetic oil" is a widely defined term most often what this means is a group 3 or sometimes called Group3+ hydro cracked oils then they are aren't fully man made but are labeled synthetic or fully synthetic by some but truly aren't. Additionally the fischer tropsch refinement also called GTL or gas to liquid seems to be a "3+" this is also available in varying % as a blend Pennzoil platinum was the first guys to tout this I can recall.

These group 3 oils are often blended with group 4 to offer very high or ""extended protection blends like 15K

A Group 4's or manmade PAO formulation are synthesized differently and considered the top ranking of what definable as synthetic. . Oils like Mobil ones annual protection (20K) have a very high percent of PAO in them but are still blended with group 3+.

If someone says fully synthetic they should be able to answer how much PAO in the blend. ...
man wouldn't THAT be some truth in advertising!

UPDATE: It appears there are currently two different part numbers for Honda full synthetic 0W-20 oil - 08798-9037 (silver bottle labeled "ultimate") and 08798-9063 (black bottle not labeled "ultimate") - the latter of which appears newer. The 08798-9037 is/was made by Phillips 66 for Honda. I can't find an MSDS or any information verifying whether or not Phillips 66 still makes the 08798-9063. It's possible Honda changed suppliers...again.
As far as I can tell, the "full synthetic" is supposed to now take the place of the syn-blend. Less expensive than the "ultimate" but still good oil. I suspect it may not be rated for the newer 0w20 turbos, but can't get an answer on that. My dealership only use the Ultimate full syn in 0w20, so I don't have anything to go on there. (HTO-06 spec only applies to 5w-30, i think)

Quick FYI for those of you that get the A01 filters from H and A, they have 40% off standard shipping right now.
FYI, we've had issues with them in the past and the current batch have a smaller amount of oring/gasket squish before mechanically bottoming out (compared to the A02), and a couple have failed to seal and ejected oil on startup (something the techs haven't seen with the A02).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Synthetic versus Conventional Motor Oil

I own a 2013 Toyota Rav4 and recently sold a 2005 C6 Corvette when purchasing a 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E.

The Rav4 and C6 Vette both called for Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.

What does Honda recommend I use in my Ridgeline?

Also - your thoughts are appreciated?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Re: Synthetic versus Conventional Motor Oil

It has synthetic from the factory 0W 20 this weight oil is synthetic

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts

Honda 0w20 synthetic blend, part number 08798-9036
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Fluid-08798-9036-Synthetic/dp/B007P5RFRO
Or
Honda 0w20 full synthetic, part number 08798-9037
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-08798-9037-Full-Synthetic/dp/B00BFDF6V4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1OG4UXFFTO68B&keywords=honda+0w-20+full+synthetic+oil&qid=1552230217&s=gateway&sprefix=Honda+0w,aps,203&sr=8-7

Either one works, or any preferred oil of 0w20 weight. Just pick which one you prefer.
I like the full synthetic while under warranty, afterwards I’ll just buy Mobil 1 (it’s all just preference).

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts

Interesting, on Amazon three Honda 0w20 oils are offered;

(1) described as a full synthetic blend
(08798-9036 0W-20 Full Synthetic Blend Motor Oil);

(2) described as ultimate full synthetic
(08798-9038 5W-20 Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil);

(3) described as a blended full synthetic
(08798-9063 0W-20 Blended Full Synthetic Motor Oil).

·
Registered
155 Posts

I use synthetic in everything I own. Even my 51 Ford pickup (I do add a zinc additive for this one).

Here's a good video showing how much better synthetic oil is. The added cost is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Ah, another oil thread!

Well, as long as we're here . . . . First, with regard to "Honda" motor oil -- i.e., the stuff that's bottled for Honda and sold as "Official Honda Motor Oil" -- each version (the blended oil and the synthetic) is bottled for Honda by ConocoPhillips (one word)(stock symbol "COP"). Identical COP products are bottled for Ford and sold under the Motorcraft name. They are "OK" products, but (IMHO) they are nothing special. Exxon-Mobil (XOM), Royal Dutch Shell (RDS) and British Petroleum (BP) each have better products -- Mobil 1; Pennzoil Platinum; Castrol EDGE -- for similar $ and each has a far better reputation (IMHO, of course). Better chemistry, too. That's not opinion; it's well documented. And for those opinions, I humbly refer the OP to www.bobistheoilguy.com under "Oil Analysis Reports."

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts

How on Christmas Eve, even in 2019, we get these 'Which Engine oil is better' Threads????
Ever heard of the search function?? It is on the top right. Hell, you can even Google this.
Use what you are comfortable and please do not post threads such as this in the future.. Please!!

Those are my thoughts.....................

61 - 80 of 84 Posts