Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Administrator
23,171 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Being a participant on this forum for several years I realize that this topic has come up from time to time. I would like to get the latest comments, experiences regarding the latest dash cams and experiences with installation. I'm looking for the best dash cam, not looking for the most affordable within reason. I want a professional install with no wires hanging about. I realize this community can't help with installation, but would like to hear opinions of those who have installed dash cams and their likes and dislikes of the units they chose. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
125 Posts
I have the BlackVue DR900S-2CH dash cam system. I'm still getting used to it and adjusting the settings. So far, so not impressed. One of my biggest gripes, about a few weeks ago, was with the direct Wi-Fi. When streaming music I would lose connection on the phone because it direct connects (WiFi) to the dash cam and ends the connection with the network. I then had to configure the phone to use cellular data but is cumbersome and risky while driving. I had to change the setting for the phone to not automatically connect. It works better now but need to adjust the sensitivity for the phone because I get at least 40 notifications for a 15 minute drive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the BlackVue DR9000-2CH. Ive never had problems with it. The only gripe is downloading videos to my phone before they are over written on the card (will fix with a larger card). The video quality is awesome, I even had a state police officer comment that the quality was better than what they had in their patrol vehicles.

I do not purchase the remote access via their cloud service, but its a nice feature.

I have owned 3 dash cams in 3 cars, Seydi and Thinkware being the other two. BlackVue is by far the best I have had, and I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics. I'd recommend looking at the new Garmins, they have great resolution and a wide viewing angle in a compact size.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I'm currently looking at a Kenwood DRV-A601WDP at $460.00 installed professionally. I really want a clean install. The camera itself has gotten mixed reviews, but that's what the install place offers.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
1 Posts
So I'm here nerding over my first truck since my first truck (87 Ford Ranger) and it hasn't even been delivered yet and I really want to ensure I got my bases covered on a dash cam system. I've been doing a bunch of google search fu but its a whole cornucopia of "not quites" and "far from" on the results. So... Is there a recommendation on a good system for the Ridgeline RTL-E?

I think I'd prefer a rear view mirror replacement but I'm not married to that idea. Mostly I want the security of being able to have video evidence should any incidents occur.

Is it better to put rearview camera at the back of the bed or on the back window?
Honestly I'm kind of in information overload and need a little distillation from those with experience here on what direction to go.

·
Premium Member
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
125 Posts
I have the Blackvue DR900S-2CH system. So far so good but I'm not completely impressed. I had it hardwired in, with the battery regulator and parking mode lasts for MAYBE 10 minutes. Alot of money spent for not much parking surveillance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have yet to buy / install a dashcam but have been eying BlackVue. I REALLY do not like having an LCD screen. I also do not have any interest in dual cameras.

DR590-1CH ($140) : I love the price, but the optional GPS is external and there is no wifi to pull video from your phone. Additionally, hard wiring requires an optional kit. While not a requirement, recording video while in the parking lot is another option.

DR590X-1CH ($180) : Adds wifi to pull video from a phone and comes with the hard wiring kit. The GPS is still optional and external still as is the retained parking lot recording.

DR750X-1CH PLUS ($290) : Gets an internal GPS along with several other upgrades like parking lot incident recording. There is a big jump in price, but everything is standard.

DR900X-1CH PLUS ($380) : Adds 4K Video.

I am currently leaning toward the DR750X-1CH PLUS. I keep debating the value of the GPS which is the key feature it offers (I would not get the external GPS on the DR590X-1CH). In the event of a wreck, the footage is what really matters; the GPS provides some additional context but really does not change the narrative. Having retained power to record in the parking lot is a feature I find of limited value, but can also avoid issues if there is a momentary power loss during ignition (I had an old Nissan where the 12V died while turning over and it would reboot the portable GPS). So the DR750X-1CH PLUS is the safe option and the DR590X-1CH PLUS is a budget consious avenue.

I will add the DR900X-1CH PLUS was more than I am looking to spend; the 4k was appealing. However keep in mind that 4K takes up more storage space (not that memory is really all that epxensive). The 4K recording is 30 frames per second, not 60. So you are trading higher resolution for a slower frame rate.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I just traded my '17 RTL-E for a '21 RTL-E. I've got a new Viofo coming and was trying to remember what fuse to use. I found this thread and my own post with the information. Gawsh ain't the Internet wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,138 Posts
I just traded my '17 RTL-E for a '21 RTL-E. I've got a new Viofo coming and was trying to remember what fuse to use. I found this thread and my own post with the information. Gawsh ain't the Internet wonderful!
Which Viofo are you getting?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of info here. It looks like 2 or 3 threads merged, but regardless, good info.

I have considered a dashcam for years, but I have been known to get my buttons pushed from time to time and drive a bit aggressively.

Does anyone know of any hidden installation kits? Perhaps something than can be installed outside, behind the grill? (The rear should not be too difficult to disguise in my RTL-E.)

Barring exterior units, perhaps there are small units, or some with concealing surrounds? Wireless would be my first choice, and no display is necessary. I would prefer display/playback only be available through NFC, Bluetooth, and/or wifi.

I can't be the only person who has been batting this about - I welcome your input.
Thank you!

Reactions: F1reheart

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of info here. It looks like 2 or 3 threads merged, but regardless, good info.

I have considered a dashcam for years, but I have been known to get my buttons pushed from time to time and drive a bit aggressively.

Does anyone know of any hidden installation kits? Perhaps something than can be installed outside, behind the grill? (The rear should not be too difficult to disguise in my RTL-E.)

Barring exterior units, perhaps there are small units, or some with concealing surrounds? Wireless would be my first choice, and no display is necessary. I would prefer display/playback only be available through NFC, Bluetooth, and/or wifi.

I can't be the only person who has been batting this about - I welcome your input.
Thank you!
I went with the Blackvue DR-590X. You can get GPS with the 750X and 4k with the 900X (but at a lower frame rate). It comes with the hardwired kit and as you can see is pretty hidden. Running the power to the fuse box is pretty easy. 4 screws on the overhead console and a screw on the driver A-Pillar. I think the toughest was finding a solid ground to use.

All the models can be had with a second (rear cam) and I think they just came out with one with a 3rd interior view. Personally, if you get rear ended it is their fault. The front camera provides context. Personally, I do not see many use cases that the rear camera aides for identify fault. Parking surveillance, sure, but that is another discussion. Hoping to use a cam to identify a vehicle in a hit and run is well, hit or miss. With all the factors of environment and camera exposure the plate may or may not be washed out. I really wanted to get GPS, but the 750X was almost 2X as much. And while 4k was nice ($$$) the better resolution is offset by the frame rate that makes it blurry. But the key is IF something happens, it provides a pretty conclusive witness to what occurred.

There is an Apple/Google app that you can install to get the videos. I had a bit of trouble getting it setup initially; but once you get the codes and figure things out, it is rather intuitive. I disabled the audio alerts and essentially you do not even realize it is in the c ar, err truck, err "truck", err Honda.

Originally on my old Subaru I was looking to get something to mount on bumper/grill/exterior because of the camera system on the windshield. There are a couple good motorcycle dash cams that are waterproof. Quite expensive but they could work with any vehicle.

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Window Hood Motor vehicle
Window Grille White Hood Light

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,417 Posts
I went with the Blackvue DR-590X. You can get GPS with the 750X and 4k with the 900X (but at a lower frame rate). It comes with the hardwired kit and as you can see is pretty hidden. Running the power to the fuse box is pretty easy. 4 screws on the overhead console and a screw on the driver A-Pillar. I think the toughest was finding a solid ground to use.

All the models can be had with a second (rear cam) and I think they just came out with one with a 3rd interior view. Personally, if you get rear ended it is their fault. The front camera provides context. Personally, I do not see many use cases that the rear camera aides for identify fault. Parking surveillance, sure, but that is another discussion. Hoping to use a cam to identify a vehicle in a hit and run is well, hit or miss. With all the factors of environment and camera exposure the plate may or may not be washed out. I really wanted to get GPS, but the 750X was almost 2X as much. And while 4k was nice ($$$) the better resolution is offset by the frame rate that makes it blurry. But the key is IF something happens, it provides a pretty conclusive witness to what occurred.

There is an Apple/Google app that you can install to get the videos. I had a bit of trouble getting it setup initially; but once you get the codes and figure things out, it is rather intuitive. I disabled the audio alerts and essentially you do not even realize it is in the c ar, err truck, err "truck", err Honda.

Originally on my old Subaru I was looking to get something to mount on bumper/grill/exterior because of the camera system on the windshield. There are a couple good motorcycle dash cams that are waterproof. Quite expensive but they could work with any vehicle.

View attachment 419964 View attachment 419965 View attachment 419966
Between Blackvue and Thinkware, there are no better dash cams on the market. I have a DR750X-Plus and that is what I would highly recommend to any one in the market for a dash cam. Your install looks nice. However, as a professional installer, I would have popped off that black shroud attached to the windshield and run the wire behind it versus on top of it for a professional look.

www.thedashcamstore.com

www.blackboxmycar.com

·
Administrator
23,171 Posts
I continue to be very pleased with my VIOFO A119S V2 dashcams that I've been using for several years. I had one that was DOA and the one I bought for my brother failed; otherwise, they've been very reliable. The one currently in my Ridgeline is several years old and has survived hot summers, cold winters, and thousands of hours of recording without failure. The A119S V2 has been discontinued and replaced by the A119 V3.

Most any of today's dashcams seem to outperform the dedicated cameras used in emergency vehicles based on the police videos I see. I just learned that my county is equipping their last vehicle without a camera with one at a cost to the taxpayers of $6,500. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I continue to be very pleased with my VIOFO A119S V2 dashcams that I've been using for several years. I had one that was DOA and the one I bought for my brother failed; otherwise, they've been very reliable. The one currently in my Ridgeline is several years old and has survived hot summers, cold winters, and thousands of hours of recording without failure. The A119S V2 has been discontinued and replaced by the A119 V3.

Most any of today's dashcams seem to outperform the dedicated cameras used in emergency vehicles based on the police videos I see. I just learned that my county is equipping their last vehicle without a camera with one at a cost to the taxpayers of $6,500. Ouch.
I'll install it for half that 😂 Just like a $7000 hammer or toilet seat.

• Haha
Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a blackvue 900 2 channel in mine today. I did it by myself and it was my first dash cam install. The hardest part was finding two of those mini fuse taps in town to use for the power. I used #28 acc and #18 hot as it was recommended previously and it worked just fine. You have to have some patience with the app and getting things configured but its worth it. 3 minutes after I left the driveway someone almost hit me and drove up over the curb, i pulled up behind them and the tag is expired for 3 years, so someones going to have a ticket in the mail. Cloud uploading to wifi was a huge win.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,253 Posts
I installed a blackvue 900 2 channel in mine today. I did it by myself and it was my first dash cam install. The hardest part was finding two of those mini fuse taps in town to use for the power. I used #28 acc and #18 hot as it was recommended previously and it worked just fine. You have to have some patience with the app and getting things configured but its worth it. 3 minutes after I left the driveway someone almost hit me and drove up over the curb, i pulled up behind them and the tag is expired for 3 years, so someones going to have a ticket in the mail. Cloud uploading to wifi was a huge win.
We need that type of system in Colorado, where citizens can report out of date plates. The police just do not have time to ticket all the offenders in my area of town.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've been kicking the idea around wondering if it's worth the money and effort to get a dash cam.
Still undecided, but I'm intrigued.

What I don't like is the potential to turn every driver on the road into a tax collector. I don't believe tickets should be issued based on dash cam evidence. If there is an accident that's one thing, you now have proof, and if you can prove your innocence on running a red light, that's great too, but witnessing a driver breaking the law should not be usable.

It's absolutely insane, and I'm not sure who wants to live in a world where the government turns everyone into a watchdog.
Hilter did that, and that didn't turn out well. If your fellow man steps out of line, its your duty to report them...

Everyone, including the police, the lawyers, the judges, the insurance adjusters and your mothers break traffic laws pretty much everytime they/ we get behind the wheel. That's the way the system was created, nobody cares if you speed, but if a cop needs a few tickets on any given month you could get pulled over for doing what everyone else is doing. And who actually gets ticketed is nothing short of criminal.

It's just a form of tax collection,nothing more, it's certainly not to keep the public safe. So if any idiot with a dash cam and an axe to grind can follow someone, wait for a screw up and submit the footage that results in a ticket, we are screwed as a society.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I've been kicking the idea around wondering if it's worth the money and effort to get a dash cam.
Still undecided, but I'm intrigued.

What I don't like is the potential to turn every driver on the road into a tax collector. I don't believe tickets should be issued based on dash cam evidence. If there is an accident that's one thing, you now have proof, and if you can prove your innocence on running a red light, that's great too, but witnessing a driver breaking the law should not be usable.

It's absolutely insane, and I'm not sure who wants to live in a world where the government turns everyone into a watchdog.
Hilter did that, and that didn't turn out well. If your fellow man steps out of line, its your duty to report them...

Everyone, including the police, the lawyers, the judges, the insurance adjusters and your mothers break traffic laws pretty much everytime they/ we get behind the wheel. That's the way the system was created, nobody cares if you speed, but if a cop needs a few tickets on any given month you could get pulled over for doing what everyone else is doing. And who actually gets ticketed is nothing short of criminal.

It's just a form of tax collection,nothing more, it's certainly not to keep the public safe. So if any idiot with a dash cam and an axe to grind can follow someone, wait for a screw up and submit the footage that results in a ticket, we are screwed as a society.
It doesn't work that way. In most all states, unless the Police physically witness a moving violation, they cannot issue a ticket based on dash cam footage. Dash Cams main function is to protect YOU in case of an accident...period.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It doesn't work that way. In most all states, unless the Police physically witness a moving violation, they cannot issue a ticket based on dash cam footage. Dash Cams main function is to protect YOU in case of an accident...period.
I didnt think so, but some of these posts suggest some states may allow that

121 - 140 of 176 Posts